Chapter Fifteen

Ludovica continued to wait. But as the seconds ticked by, she realized that he wasn't going to walk through the barrier and engulf her in a hug and never let her go. "Felix..." She tried to stop her voice from quivering to no avail. "Find us a place to spend the night."

"My apologies, Alpha, but I do not believe it is a good idea for me to leave you both alone after an attack. There could be accomplices in the human town."

"Do not underestimate my strength. Right now, anyone who dares confront me will end up with their hearts ripped right out of their chest...or perhaps I'll tear them to shreds with my bare hands." She lifted her gaze to look into his wide eyes. "Please do as your told. Do not ever question me."

He nodded, then turned on his heel, heading toward the town. Angie sat down on the forest floor, her back on the bark of a tree. Ludovica stood beside her before crouching down and putting a hand on her shoulder.

A drop splashed on her shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"How can I be okay? First, I lose the man I love and now a friend—I don't even know if my family is okay or not" She buried her face in her shuddering hands. "I'm slowly losing my mind."

Ludovica wrapped an arm around her and pulled her closer. "I think I have lost mine already." Perhaps, she should have told Angie that everything would be okay, but then, that would be a big fat lie. "It's my fault. I should not have put my guard down. I should have known there would be more of them lurking in our land, waiting to attack when we least expected it."

Angie shook her head. "It's no one's fault." Her smile was weak. "We'll beat these wolves and get back...everyone is okay."

Ludovica narrowed her eyes at the sound of footsteps. She pulled away from Angie and lurched to her feet, reaching into her pocket for her gun. Her eyes widened when she remembered she was wearing the wedding gown. Now, she resented not asking Felix for one of his weapons. Though the one he held in his hand probably was his only defense if he found anything at the town.

"What is it?" Angie stood beside her, arms wrapped around herself. She shuddered, but maintained a controlled expression, eyes bloodshot. "It probably was an animal, right?"

"Probably." Or perhaps something more. Ludovica lifted her nose, trying to catch the scent of anyone lurking in the forest. "Rogues seem to like Safire. It could be one of them."

"A rogue wolf..." Angie glanced around before her gaze met Ludovica's. "Or a rogue vampire. I rather it is a rogue wolf than a bloodsucker."

"I agree with you." You could negotiate with a rogue wolf—though, after the last events, Ludovica wouldn't be negotiating with any damn rogue wolf—but with a vampire who had gone rogue would be difficult—impossible— to reason with; they would be more focused on sinking their fangs into one's skin and tear one's neck apart as they drained every drop out of one's body, or so she heard.

"If it's a rogue vampire... do you think we stand a chance?"

Ludovica nodded. "I'm a rare silver wolf and you are a very strong Omega."

Angie shook her head. "I was always last in everything in my class. I'm far from being good."

Ludovica moved one foot forward, eyes scanning the area around them for anything amiss. "Well, I don't think it's a rogue. Perhaps you were right and it's nothing but an animal."

Just as the words left her lips an enormous blur crashed into her head-on. She flung back, her back impacting a bole of a tree, taking the tree down with her in the process. As she staggered back to her feet, she shook her head, the bones in her back slowly snapping back into place.