CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Dmitri felt as if his entire body was on fire. Any damn movement made every bone in his body feel as fragile as glass. Still, when he heard the loud cry of his mate, his eyes snapped open and he heaved himself out of the bed, ignoring all the painful tremors that shot through his body.

When he tried to sniff the air to catch her scent, he found nothing. With a groan, he made his way out of the room and into the isolated hallway, every footfall heavier than before, his predatory grace completely gone. He even stumbled over his own feet trying to reach the end of the corridor aligned with closed doors.

Once again, his mate's agonizing cries resonated through the safe house, like a banshee warning people of an approaching death. The third loud scream turned into a fierce growl followed by faint murmurs of voices, some of which he recognized.

"I think it's working."

"She's in too much pain."

"I didn't say it would be painless. I told her exactly how dangerous this was."

"If you knew the dangers," Dmitri heard Caleb said almost in a low growl. "Then why extract the venom?"

"Because she gave me no damn choice," Beth retorted, clearly irritated. "She said she would drain every drop of blood from her body herself."

"Caleb..." His mates voice revealed how tired and in pain she was. "This is the only way we're going to win this war. How else are we supposed to kill Diego?" She paused, trying to control her rigid breathing. "He was too stupid to not realize, that he gave me a weapon against him."

"An eye for an eye..." whispered Angie. "It's a great plan, but how do you plan to get close to him?"

Dmitri stumbled into the living room to find his mate on the table, held down by Alfonso, Alexander and Caleb. Dmitri's first instinct was to rip their hands off their bodies, but he doubted that in his condition, he could do such thing. Everyone stared at him in complete disbelief until Hellen approached him.

"Dmitri, you shouldn't be standing, let alone walking. You need rest."

He jerked away when she tried to grab his forearm. "What are you doing to her?" He asked, staring right at Beth.

She took a step back and gestured for the guys to release Ludovica. When she sat up, his eyes widened at her full-even blood stained lips. Dmitri hadn't seen Jace kneeling behind the table until he rose to his feet, a deep laceration on his left wrist.

"What on earth were you doing?"

"Keeping her alive until they drained the venom out."

At Jace words, Dmitri managed to still move at the speed of light and wrapped his fingers around his friend's neck. "You know what it means for a vampire to share his blood for so long—"

"Dmitri stop! He didn't make a blood bond with me. He can't...he is already bonded to Angie."

Jace grasped Dmitri's arms and yanked them back. If Dmitri hadn't unwrapped his fingers from his friend's neck, they probably would have been ripped off.

"What's wrong with you? I was trying to keep your bloody mate alive!"

Dmitri took a step back; feeling as if the entire world had begun to spin. "I'm sorry."

A small tanned hand grasped his shoulder. He turned to come face-to-face with his mate. Her large blue eyes stared at him with concern before she hugged him, as if petrified of ever letting go. He buried his face in her neck, drowning in her sweet intoxicating aroma. Soon, he would lose that as well. He wouldn't be able to smell her unique fragrance. No human had such enhanced sense of smell to do such thing.

"I have a plan," she whispered as she pulled back.

"What plan?"

Beth handed Ludovica a dagger made from hilt to the tip of the blade of pure white metal. It almost seemed as if there was some type of liquid coursing through it. He tore his gaze from it to stare at his mate in disbelief. They had managed to remove the venom from her into the dagger.

"I'm going to stab Diego with this and finally end this madness."