A Lesson in Magic

Last time:

Naruto looked at Minato and smiled. They didn't know what was going to happen, but no matter what they'd get through it together.

XXXXXXXXXX

"So the exam for us will be different." Hinata said as she and Naruto headed to the building where the Chunin exam will take place.

Naruto nodded and adjusted his glasses, he was so used to being around Minato without them that he almost forgot to take them with him, "Yes, our job is to watch the other competitors and get information."

They saw someone outside the building wave at them, "Hey, I'm Sai, your replacement teammate ... you are both aware about this exam." He glanced at Hinata, he may have said 'both', but he really meant 'is she aware of the mission?'.

Hinata nodded, "Yeah, Naruto brought me up to speed."

The ROOT agent nodded, "Good, let's go in."

They entered the building and made their way up the stairs. The three ignored a group of genin who were tricked by a genjutsu and continued to the exam room. Kakashi nodded and let them pass as he gave them a subtle warning to be careful.

Hinata eyed her sensei and noticed something, "Hey, Naruto why is Kakashi hiding his book from you?"

"He doesn't want me to take it again." The magic user chuckled.

Hinata twitched, "You should and destroy it this time! ... and you're going to help!" She snapped while pointing threatenly at Sai.

Naruto and Sai nodded quickly trying to calm the scary crazy woman down, "I understand now why you prefer men." A startled Sai muttered under his breath as Hinata moved out of earshot. The mage snickered at the comment.

"Hey, man! Can you believe we have to do this. What a drag." Shikamaru grumbled as he and his teammates, Ino and Choji, came towards them.

"SWEET, we're all here!" yelled Kiba who was followed by Sasuke and Shino. Sasuke went over to Choji and gave him a quick kiss for luck.

A young man with blue hair and glasses came over to the group, "You guys should quiet down. You're making people nervous."

Everyone was actually glaring at the 9 genin, "Whatever. Who are you? Have you taken these exams before?" asked Kiba.

"I'm Kabuto and yes, this is my ... seventh time." Kabuto answered.

Kiba's jaw dropped, "Wow, you must be very unlucky or suck at this-OW!"

Sasuke reached out and twisted Kiba's ear, "Be nice, Kiba. These exams aren't supposed to be easy." The Uchiha scolded as the dog ninja rubbed his sore ear.

"Yes, well, one good thing about taking this exam so many times is that I collected a lot of data on other opponents. Want to see?" Kabuto offered.

Naruto watched as the ninja took out a deck of cards and proceeded to answer questions about other people in the room. He had a lot of information ... too much. Naruto glanced at Sai and the ROOT agent nodded in agreement ... Kabuto should be watched.

The proctor, Ibiki, entered the room, "Alright, shut up you maggots!"

XXXXXXXXXX

Kushina watched her blonde childhood friend sit quietly on the couch clearly worried about his lover who was taking the exam now, "You don't have to worry, Minato. Naruto will be fine." Said the redhead who was trying to console her friend.

Minato sighed, "I know, but I can't help it." He looked out the window in the direction of the exam building.

She frowned and decided to try and change the subject, "Hey, Minato, what's this? It's pretty." Kushina said when she noticed that Minato was wearing a very pretty simple black choker necklace that had a flat circular green stone in a silver setting hanging from it.