Chapter Twenty-Two

“The beach?”

I lifted my eyes from my Ipod just in time to catch sight of Honey’s typically cheerful smile.

“Uh-huh!”

“Oh…”

A thoughtful frown reached my lips as I drew one hand up to pull away the earbuds I’d carefully tucked in my ears. The music wasn’t playing loud enough to drown out Honey’s voice, but it was only polite to actually pay attention to what he was saying instead of letting the music continue to buzz in the background.

“Haru-chan said she’d like to go to the ocean when we were leaving the resort,” Honey added. “And Kao-chan and Hika-chan have been talking about it a lot and managed to convince Tama-chan. So Kyo-kun’s setting up the trip now!”

As he finished speaking, Honey gestured towards where I could see the club member in question speaking to someone over the phone.

“So you don’t know the beach yet?” I questioned, turning the idea over in my mind.

Honey shook his head, bracing his hands on the edge of my table as he did.

“Nope! But it will be lots of fun no matter where we go! So, what do you think, Nao-chan?”

My eyes seemed to flicker past him on my own to where Mori stood a few steps to his right. We hadn’t started the evenings at his house yet, which meant all those questions that had formed that night at Honey’s house had yet to be answered. It would be a chance to start figuring things out. The more time I spent around these two the easier it should get to find the answers, right?

“Oh! And Ren-kun is coming!” Honey said before I made my decision.

Oh. Right. There was the problem of that person.

“Where is Kimura-san?” I asked, suddenly realizing that it was strange the Red-head hadn’t come and interrupted me before now to talk about the trip.

The rest of the club members were all standing around Kyoya, talking animatedly about the idea while he was taking care of the plans. In response to my question, Honey tilted his head, furrowing his brow as he thought.

“Swimsuit,” Mori prompted him.

“Right!” Honey followed up immediately. “Ren-kun said that since the decision was made to go right away, he’d go pack your guys’ bags!”

I blanched, both of my hands immediately clenching.

“Honey… Kimura-san packing my bags is…”

“It’s okay, Nao-chan!” he reassured me. “Ren-kun said he knew exactly where everything was! So you’re coming, right?”

Now I found myself burying my head in my hands as I gave a reluctant nod. There was no way this would end up well. Last time I’d worn a swimsuit Ren had complained because it wasn’t cute enough.

Between him and Uncle Harou I had a bad feeling this wasn’t going to end up well at all.

__________________________________________

I wasn’t at all surprised that when I finally got to see what I’d ended up with as a swimsuit it was something I wouldn’t have chosen if it was the last left in the world. The simplest way to describe it would be as similar to what the twins had repeatedly attempted to persuade Haruhi to wear, well, until it was decided that the club fangirls should come along.

The bikini had frills on the chest and was just big enough that I decided to go ahead and try it on. When I peered out of the changing room to where the group gathering to walk down to the water was gathering, however, I ended up just releasing the curtain and staring at myself in the mirror again. It fit okay, but was it really appropriate to go walking out there in? Uncle was always complaining about how I looked, was this something that would just make those complaints obvious features to everyone else?