Chapter Six

Nao

“Kimonos,” I muttered under my breath. “They’re wearing kimonos.”

Well, at least it’s better than the tropical outfits they wore not that long ago, I reluctantly admitted to myself. A kimono doesn’t show nearly as much skin.

“Kyaaa!”

However, they did seem to cause more screaming from the fangirl side of things.

Just as I was about to search through my bag for earplugs to block the sounds of the fangirling, a voice caught my attention.

“Nao-chan, Nao-chan,” Honey called out.

Putting my book to the side, I was startled to find tears welling up in Honey’s eyes. He was standing only a few feet away, dressed in a kimono like the rest of the host club.

“Honey?”

“I lost one of my straw sandals.”

As what he had said sank in, I realized that he was indeed only wearing one shoe. Quickly getting to my feet, I closed the distance between him and myself and knelt down in front of him. Unable to quite keep the image of him and my brother from overlapping in my mind, I reached out and ruffled his hair.

How was it that the longer I was around him, the more and more he reminded me of Akihiko?

They didn’t even look similar except for their height.

Aki had been in his last year of elementary school. For a moment, as I looked at Honey, a perfect image of Aki popped into my mind. How his brown hair never looked as if he let the servants run even a single comb through it. His clothing had always been in disarray, mostly from the fact that he was always hiding in little places to see how far he could push the patience of those who were supposed to be watching him. He’d been rather tan from all the time he spent outside when he wasn’t hiding.

The most outstanding feature of his in that perfect image I could recall of him, however, was his eyes. The gleaming gray eyes he’d inherited from my father’s side. The same eyes uncle had, only instead of coldness they always seemed to be portraying some kind of excitement.

Perhaps the excitable nature he’d had was why Honey reminded me so much of him.

“Calm down,” I told him, causing surprise to appear on his face. “Can you remember where you put it on? Or how about the last time you remember wearing it?”

As if my words had triggered something, his tears, instead of just welling up in his eyes, actually began to fall.

“I can’t remember!”

The fangirls, who’d been standing to the side up to this point, spoke up.

“Honey-kun! Don’t cry, we’ll help you find it!”

Was it my imagination, or did a couple of them actually just send me a dirty look?

Dismissing the thought, I decided to ignore them and help Honey. Just as I was about to go searching for the sandle, however, Mori suddenly appeared at Honey’s side. Kneeling down next to him like some kind of servant, Mori picked up Honey’s foot and slipped on the missing sandal. When I checked to see if that fixed Honey, I was surprised to see him staring at Mori, one of his hands placed in front of his mouth in the shape of a fist.

“Takashi.”

Was Honey really the same age as me?

“It was over there,” Mori replied, apparently understanding what Honey wanted to know.