Chapter Four

Needless to say, I was surprised to find out at practice the next day that not only were they telling the truth about Mori being in the kendo club, but he turned out to be the captain of the kendo club. I guess I could be a bit oblivious sometimes.

A bit… well, I guess it was sorta a stretch to call not noticing the captain of your own club being a bit oblivious- more like majorly oblivious.

"Mori….san," I greeted him upon arriving in class.

Mori paused in his warm-ups to glance at me. There wasn't any hint of what he was thinking in his expression.

"Morioka-san," he greeted in return.

Then we both just stood there, staring at each other. The silence stretched on a few uncomfortable moments until a club member called out to Mori for help with something. Giving me a nod, he turned away and went to correct the club member's stance. For the majority of club time, much to my annoyance, I found myself focusing more and more on watching him and not on practicing. I even ended up with a few bruises as a result, when a first year asked me to let him practice a technique he'd recently learned. Of course, I paid a little attention to them after that. The bruises he probably ended up with were probably more painful than the few I earned. Despite that, the first year didn't seem too upset.

When everything was over and done with, and I was changing back into the school uniform, I decided that I'd learned at once one thing during practice today. No matter what I might learn by watching his interactions during club time, it wouldn't do me any good if I ended up slacking off on my end. All of this crossed my mind as I ruefully rubbed my throbbing arm before grabbing my things and headed out of the changing room. As usual, I only found kohais wishing me goodbye, and that was probably because it was tradition in kendo to acknowledge your seniors. The majority of the club left quickly, which made me alone beyond the few people lingering in the main part of the practice room. Even in the club I'd found it difficult to make friends. The boy who had asked to practice with me earlier, and a few other people, talked to me sometimes, but not enough to count as anything.

"Morioka-san."

Startled, I glanced towards the door that led into the boy's changing room. Mori, still in his kendo outfit, had a bag slung over his shoulder and was looking towards me. I quickly recalled how it'd been suggested we walked to the club together when I'd been invited yesterday.

"Mori-san," I said while putting a smile on my face. "Are you not going to change before we go?"

His face was as expressionless as ever.

"I will change there."

"Oh."

He seemed to watch me for a second longer before starting towards the door. Startled, I followed him as I assumed he expected me to.

The moment he opened the door a figure flung itself at him.

"You're done~" Honey declared happily.

Mori simply dropped his bag and caught Honey, actually holding him in the air. I could only stare at this strange scene, my mind refusing to come up with anything to say.

"Mitsukuni," Mori greeted, then sat him down.

Honey peeked around Mori, his eyes flicking around till they spotted me. Once he had, he happily darted past Mori to fling himself at me as well.

"Nao-chan~"

Startled, I didn't do what Mori had. Instead I found myself being hugged, with me just standing there like a statue. A second later he released me, not seeming to care that I hadn't reacted in any way. He then spun on a heel to seize Mori's hand with one of his and glanced back at me to grab my free hand that was hanging tensely at my side.