Chapter Sixteen

A/N: So Wattpad randomly messed up my formatting and added strange symbols. I'm fixing the chapters that have these, but that means I'm using old files to replace what's here. That might mean there are random typos that I'd fixed once upon a time mixed in with these chapters. I'll apologize in advance as I plan on coming back and combing through them at a later point. 

"So, Mitsukuni tells me that you're in the kendo club with Mori," Kiku commented, pulling me from my thoughts. It took me a second to realize that the table had mostly fallen silent beyond the quiet bickering taking place place between Chika and Satoshi on the other side of the table. "And that you moved here..."

"Last year," I provided. "I joined the club shortly after moving."

She nodded thoughtfully.

"But you didn't become friends with the boys until recently?" she asked. "How unfortunate! It's nice having a young girl around here. Helps even out the numbers."

A faint smile tugged onto my lips at her comment. Kiku had a point, there were six males here and one female if I didn't count myself. Her comment brought my curiosity to the front of my mind once again about Mori's mother. If all the direct family was here, then where was she?

"You got that injury at the recent competition, correct?" a deep voice asked, startling me.

Locating the source with my eyes, I gave Akira a small nod of confirmation.

"Yes, sir."

"Akira-san," Miku corrected.

"... yes, Akira-san."

The servants began bringing in our plates as his eyes seemed to study me. I barely kept myself from shrinking down in my seat, rather certain that it wouldn't give off a good impression. His gaze, however, was just as emotionless as Mori's seemed to be half the time. A second later his studious look relaxed into that curious gaze I'd seen when I came in.

"That's unfortunate. Hopefully it won't keep you from competing for very long. My son tells me that you do quite well for someone who's only been playing for a single year. Harou-san must work you hard."

I stiffened, attempting to keep my surprise from showing. Of course he'd know who my uncle was. Uncle had recognized Honey and Mori's name the moment I told him.

"Not that hard," I said slowly, forcing myself to relax. "Otou-san had me practicing around two hours every day- sometimes a bit longer if I didn't have a club meeting that day."

Akira's brow furrowed as he took that in and I dropped my eyes to the plate being sat in front of me. Had I said something wrong?

"Club practice is around an hour long, normally, isn't it? Plus practice before school on some occasions?" he questioned and I reluctantly raised my gaze once again. He was looking at Mori now.

Mori nodded as he picked up his chopsticks. Akira's brow furrowed even further when his eyes flickered back to me. I once again got the feeling I was being studied. Fighting not to squirm under his gaze, I ran my fingers over the table to locate the chopsticks without dropping my gaze. A second later the man seemed to sigh before dropping his eyes to his own plate.

"Harou-san hasn't changed. It was always much easier to handle your father."

I almost flinched.

"Most people believe that, Akira-san."

The words slipped out of my mouth before I could stop them and I clamped my casted hand over my mouth a second too late. My eyes darted to him to find that the only thing my words seemed to have caused was amusement on Akira's part. Hopefully those words wouldn't make their way back to Uncle.