Chapter Five

A/N: Nao's dress is to the side. Along with a random AMV.

Perhaps my uncle had some sort of obsession with dolls when he was younger.

"The neckline is too low in that one, try on the next!"

I never would have thought I'd end up trying on dresses for him for two hours straight. The fact that my uncle had some sort of fashion ideal in his head surprised me. Although, I guess it didn't surprise me as much as the fact that he had the patience to stand there as I put on dress after dress.

"You look twenty sizes bigger. Next."

Or maybe he was just enjoying making fun of me. That was another highly probable possibility.

As I walked down the hall from my bedroom to show off yet another dress, I could feel my annoyance building to a boiling point. Once I'd informed Uncle about the party being put on by the host club, he'd instantly called out his favorite designers to our house, demanding they bring along a large selection of dresses with them. From what I could tell from the material and the styles, each dress probably cost more than a commoner's house.

"Why couldn't you have inherited something beyond your athletic ability from your mother," I heard him mutter as I turned in a circle to demonstrate the dress. "That woman was a beauty. How did you end up so plain?"

By this point I was imagining having my kendo sword with me so that I could strike him with it. How many times did he plan on insulting me within a short time span?

"Perhaps we should dye your hair."

Feeling something snap, I gripped the fabric of my dress tightly in my hands and glared at him.

"I am not your doll," I muttered, then raised my voice a bit louder. "I am not dying my hair."

Uncle Harou froze, then his expression became cold.

"You will do whatever I say," he said, his tone leaving no room for argument. "If I tell you to dye your hair, you will. Luckily for you, that was just a passing whim. It wouldn't be as simple as that to make you look prettier. You're too short and lack needed things, such as curves. You should feel lucky that I decided to take you in as you are."

I stiffened, once again reminded of the fact that Uncle was indeed taking care of me. The only reason he was standing here for hours on end, and contemplating dying my hair, was because he needed, no, wanted, me to play the perfect daughter. As someone being completely provided for in every way, it was only right of me to do as he wished.

"I'm sorry," I replied, my voice quiet and even. Any anger I'd been feeling had drained away into a numb feeling.

What was I thinking? There was no better word to describe me than to call me a doll.

I wear clothing chosen for me, a smile painted on by a need to please others, and move as I'm told.

The perfect daughter.

The perfect doll.

"I spoke out-of-place. Of course I will do as you wish, Otou-san."

"I would expect nothing less," he replied instantly. There was still a coldness in his voice and expression. "Turn around once again."

I did as I was told and a thoughtful expression appeared on his face. With a sigh, Uncle nodded to himself and gave a snap of his fingers.

"That will do. I expect you to make an effort to look nice by putting on make-up and perfume, and doing something with your hair for the Christmas party," Uncle said.