Chapter One

I closed my eyes, blocking out the sound of the crowd from my ears. There would be nothing left to argue if I didn’t place at least third. He had made that clear. I had no future in something that I didn’t excel in- I might as well do as he wanted me to. I would just have to ignore the eyes of the crowd, just as I’d have to ignore the fact that I knew he was watching. He’d made that much clear as well. He wouldn’t get his reports second-hand- he wanted to see mess up everything right in front of him.

My uncle expected no less. After all, I was known for cracking under pressure.

"Morioka Nao."

I slowly drew a deep breath, then exhaled before opening my eyes. They immediately settled on the gym floor before me. I couldn't make a single mistake.

There was no one here but me.

After taking the few steps left between me and center stage, I was ready to begin. I gave a short bow then placed my hands above my head. Sliding my eyes shut once more, I reminded myself that I'd practiced until the movements were drilled into my body. I wouldn't have to think, just move.

The music started, filling the gym with the relaxing notes. I began my motions, smoothly flowing from one to another. The further I got into the routine, the more I felt myself begin to relax. A natural feeling smile managed to reach my lips as I drew one of my feet behind the other in a small, swift motion where my toes barely brushed the floor. The crowd was silent.

I had them.

It was that moment when I saw him. My uncle's eyes met mine, the cold blue drilling those condemning emotions into my thoughts. I actually flinched, stumbling in my steps. I could hear a gasp from the crowd. A half-beat later I was back into the dance, but that was enough.

I knew that I wouldn't get the place I'd been aiming for.

I wouldn't be participating again after this event.

Ten months later

"Nao! Are you ready?"

I flinched, staring at the uniform laid out on my bed.

"Not yet," I called back, stepping forward to pick up the disgustingly yellow dress. Why did it have to be this color?

"I will not allow you to be late," Uncle Harou commented from the other side of my door. "Now that your adoption is official, you are not simply representing yourself at that school. You are representing the entire Morioka clan. I expect you to uphold that title."

"Yes, Oji-san," I answered, slowly beginning to dawn the dress.

"Otou-san," he corrected immediately. "In public you will refer to me as Otou-san. You are my daughter now."

"Yes… Otou-san."

"Be ready in ten minutes. The car is already outside and waiting."

Biting back a sharp response, I simply agreed and finished dressing. Uncle didn't handle back talk very well. Nor did he handle lateness well. Two things that I had a bad habit of. In the time I'd been living with him, which was almost a year now, I'd begun to pull these things under control.

Once I'd finished, I paused in front of the mirror, studying my appearance. Uncle didn't like sloppy looks anymore than he liked tardiness. I had to be perfect. My chestnut-brown hair fell just to my shoulders in slightly curly strands, although none of them were out-of-place. Chocolate brown eyes stared back at me, my face clear and natural, no make-up being easier for me to manage now that I didn't have a servant.