Chapter Fifteen

It probably shouldn’t have surprised me that my uncle was enthusiastic with his permission for me to go to the dinner. Actually, I think it surprised me more that he insisted on sending one of our drivers to the school to drop-off an outfit for me to change into before the event.

When I thought about it, however, that really shouldn’t have surprised me either.

After picking up the package from the office, I accepted Tamaki’s offer to let me use the changing rooms in the music room. As I pulled the dress out of the bag, however, I simply stared at the object for a moment. For once I didn’t mind his obsession with new dresses to fit the occasion. The majority of the dress was a simple off-white tone and it was outlined with black. There also happened to be a simple crisscross black design stitched into the skirt of the dress. Put all together it made for an extremely simple dress suited for both casual and formal events.

I might have even chosen it given the chance.

Because of the simple nature of the dress, it was extremely simple to slip it on as the host club cleaned up after their activities. When I stepped out of the curtains, annoyed by the lack of mirror in the changing room, I drew the attention of several of the hosts.

“Kawai!” Honey declared, coming out of nowhere with a hug. Similar to my first experience with Honey’s hug, I stood there, unsure of what to do. “Very kawai, Nao-chan!”

“Um… thanks…” I muttered, eyes flickering away from him as he released me to the others in the club.

The twins had already turned away from their curious looks to whatever they’d been doing before I came out. Tamaki seemed to be considering a reaction similar to Honey’s, which I found myself hoping he would decide against. Kyoya, like the twins, had already lost interest.  Mori was still looking in our direction with that hard to read expression of his, but that might  have been because Honey was with me rather than my coming out in the dress.

“Nao-chan!” Tamaki declared, sweeping me up in his hug as well. “You should we-”

He cut off as I was suddenly out of Tamaki’s hold and dangling in the air. I didn’t really need to look to guess that I was being rescued by Mori. There’d been several occasions when I’d seen him rescue Haruhi in a similar manner from such situations involving Tamaki.

“... can you put me down?” I asked and was instantly sat down to my relief. I’m not sure what I would have done if he’d refused like he had done at the tournament. “And Tamaki-san? Please don’t touch me, it’s disturbing.”

Unsurprisingly, my words sent Tamaki to his corner. Ignoring him I turned around and offered Mori a smile that laid somewhere between real and the normal one I put on for people.

“Thanks, Mori.”

He nodded, then turned his attention to Honey. It wasn’t until then that I realized Honey had picked up my things from where they’d laid. When he caught sight of my frown, he just grinned and handed one of the two bags to Mori.

“We’re helping,” he explained, and despite the cheery tone of his voice I got the feeling I wasn’t allowed to argue.

Biting the response I wanted to give, I simply smiled once again and shrugged.

“Alright. Shall we go?”

___________________________________

I think every minute that passed between Ouran and Honey’s house made it easier and easier for me to relax. I’m not certain what it was about being around Honey, but he made any stress just… disappear.