Chapter 22

-----------
"Sometimes, someone comes into your life so unexpectedly, takes your heart by surprise, and changes your life forever"
-----------

ELENA POV

XXX

My heart plummets to my stomach, and I stiffen in Elijah's arms. The smile falls from my face, and I turn around slowly.

"Damon?"

My ex-boyfriend stands in front of me, looking the same as he always has, with some small changes

My ex-boyfriend stands in front of me, looking the same as he always has, with some small changes. He's filled out a little, losing all traces of the boy I once knew in high school, and he wears his hair slightly different than I remember, but he's still the same guy.

Instantly, I'm thrown back to that house party, that night, and that time I caught them together. Memories come flooding back with such a rush that my knees wobble. I feel like that weak schoolgirl again, who's had her heart broken for the first time.

"I swear to you I will always be there for you
There's nothin' I won't do
I promise you all my life I will live for you
We will make it through
Forever, we will be
Together you and me
Mm, when I hold you nothin' can compare
With all of my heart you know I'll always be
Right there"

As if he feels my unease, Elijah steps closer behind me, his hands rubbing smooth motions on my hips and instantly calming me.

I look back to Damon, taking in his nervous smile as his gaze darts between Elijah and me, before lingering on Elijah's hands on my hips.

Instinctively, I move back into Elijah's embrace, letting his touch soothe me.

Coming back to Mystic Falls, I knew this moment would come. I've dreaded it for so long, yet knowing Elijah is here with me makes it much easier.

Damon nods. "I wasn't sure it was you."

Nobody says anything, and the most uncomfortable silence falls between us. Fidgeting, I look to the ground, trying to think of something ‒ anything ‒ to say.