Chapter 3

-----------------
"Till the music is gone, let's party on"
-----------------

FLASHBACK ~ ELENA POV

MYSTIC FALLS

"Are we really going to this party tonight?" I watch my friend preen in front of the mirror. Curling the ends of her blonde hair and then applying some mascara. She has an effortless beauty that I've always been silently jealous of.

 She has an effortless beauty that I've always been silently jealous of

She shrugs. "Yeah, everyone's going. We can bail if it's lame."

I shrug. "Okay."

I pick up my phone and try calling Damon again. Straight to voicemail. Again. I try to ignore the dread seeping into my veins, but I can't. Since last week, he's been answering his phone less.

 Since last week, he's been answering his phone less

"You okay?"

I plant a fake smile on my face and look at her. "Sure. Just let me change, and then we can go."

xXx

CHICAGO

Just over an hour later, we're both ready to go. Having not been to a college party before, we both settled on black skinny jeans with heels and smart tops. I've decided to wear my hair straight for a change; something he hated.

His mean words cut to my core, and I so easily believed him. I changed my style for him and cut off my friends, because he said he wanted to spend more time with me. He fed me lies about them, and I had no reason not to believe him. By the end of our relationship, it was too late.

And it's something I vow to never do again.

Caroline links arms with me as we head toward the party.

"What if he's not there?"

I roll my eyes. She's been nothing but a nervous mess since we left. "Caroline, he lives here."

"Oh. Right."

I snort. "I've never known you to be so quiet. I definitely want to meet the guy who renders you speechless."