Chapter 14

--------------
"Home Is Where You Are"
--------------

ELENA POV

We make it out of the city, and just under two hours later, Elijah turns up a private driveway on the outskirts of New Orleans.

"Wow." I murmur.

Elijah shrugs. "This is home."

Trees line a long driveway, blocking the house from the main road. It creates an air of privacy, and I find myself leaning forward, looking for that first glimpse into Elijah's childhood. Soon, the road curves, and we're greeted with the sight of a large, modern-looking house. My gaze is automatically drawn to the large swing on the porch that takes up most of the front, and I can already imagine sitting there with Elijah, wrapped in a cozy blanket. Everything is immaculate, and while it doesn't scream 'money' at me, it's clear the Mikaelsons have plenty. They suffered a lot. Elijah told me about the fire incident that happened 12 yrs ago. His younger brother Henrik, and elder sister Freya died in it. Her mother lost all the hope and went through a long treatment to cope up with the loss. He told me to never discuss this topic as it bring back painful memories.

"I love it." I say as Elijah pulls up in front of the double garage. His house was breathtaking.

"I'll give you the tour later." I giggle as he winks at me. "Ready?"

I take his hand in mine. "As I'll ever be."

We approach the house, but the door opens before we can go in, and we're greeted by a woman whose gaze automatically locks on Elijah. The similarities are obvious, and I know before she even speaks that this is his mother.

"Elijah." She beams at him, pulling him into her arms.

" She beams at him, pulling him into her arms

"Hey, Mom." He looks embarrassed, a slight tinge of pink on his cheeks as he glances at me over his shoulder. But he needn't bother; I find the whole interaction adorable.

He clears his throat and steps back. Linking his fingers with mine, he steps beside me. "Um... Mom, this is Elena. My girlfriend." Those last two words, coupled with the intense look in his eyes, causes my heart to flutter.