Chapter 8

-----------
"Anywhere with you is a great place for me"
-----------

ELENA POV

I spend Saturday catching up with Caroline. Once she hears about my date with Elijah, she plans a girly day for us - something I secretly look forward to, since I've never done anything like it before.

We spend the morning at a salon getting our hair and nails done, just generally enjoying being pampered, before heading back to the apartment, so I can begin getting ready.

"Call me if you need any help with your outfit."

I nod. "I may take you up on that." I go into my room but pop my head back out. "Caroline?"

She looks up from the magazine she's reading. "Hmm?"

"Think we could do that again sometime? I really enjoyed myself today."

She grins. "Anytime."

And just like that, my memory of Rebekah fades just a little more.

XXX

"Caroline!" I yell, throwing yet another dress across the room, cursing its inadequacy.

She appears in my door, as if by magic. "You called?"

"I'm stuck."

"With?" She takes my comment as an invitation and sits on my bed.

"What the hell to wear tonight?"

"Well, where are you going?" She picks up the dress next to her that I discarded earlier. "This is cute."

"I've got no idea. He just said I wouldn't regret saying yes to him."

"Awww, that's sweet."

"Well, yeah." I smile. "But incredibly frustrating."

"Mostly cute, though, right?"

I grin at her, 'cause yes, it's very cute.

"Okay, so what are your options?"

"He's only really seen me in jeans or at work, so I was thinking a dress? I don't want to look like the Elena he sees on a daily basis."

She holds up the dress on my bed. "And this is out of the question?"

"Yes, it's too tight."

She doesn't even push me. "Right." She stands next to me. "Next idea?"

"I really don't know."

"'Kay. Where's your phone?"

"Here." I pass it to her. "Why?"

I unlock it for her and watch as she scrolls through my contact list. "'Cause I'm gonna find out what Mr. Hot Librarian has planned out for you."

"Caroline... No..." I try to take it from her, but she's fast and out of my room before I can even move.