Chapter 6

-----------------
"You and I are really more than friends"
-----------------

ELENA POV

Elijah Mikaelson became a constant fixture in my life following the declaration of our "friends only" relationship status.

With things out in the open between us, I feel like I can relax a lot more in his presence. I still catch him stealing glances when he thinks I'm not looking. My stomach flips at every smile and innocent brush of the fingers, but I'm still not ready to pursue anything more with him.

Yet.

Instead, I take each day as it comes and look forward to my shifts at the library

Instead, I take each day as it comes and look forward to my shifts at the library. Both Elijah and I spoke to Mrs. Lockwood about our plans for the daycare, and she was over the moon. Our plans were approved, so we're both currently working toward a launch date in a few weeks' time. We manage to get a lot done during our working hours, but it's never enough.

"Elena?"

I place the last book on the shelf and turn to face Elijah. I've been stuck in the back stocking the shelves for my entire shift, so this is the first time I've seen him today. His bright smile causes a familiar flutter in my stomach.

 His bright smile causes a familiar flutter in my stomach

"Is something wrong?"

His smile fades. "Why do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Always assume something's wrong?"

"Oh." I shrug. "I wasn't aware I did. Anyway, what's up?"

"I've been thinking about our project, and I was kind of hoping we'd be further along with the plans by now."

I frown. "I know. But I can't afford to up my hours anymore—"

He cuts me off. "I know. I… uh… I think we should meet up outside of work. There's too many distractions here, and I'm worried we won't be completely ready."

"Oh. Yeah, that makes sense."

"So… I'm gonna need your number…" He holds up his cell and passes it to me.