Chapter 1 - Envy's Dream

Chapter One - Envy's Dream

          Headshot! 

          "Told you I could kill the zombie with the purple hat in one shot," Envy said to his friend Connor. Who knew Envy could be so skilled with a weapon? He was only fifteen years old, and once his freshman year was finished he would be a sophomore at Navarre High School. He had known his friend Connor since he was in diapers.

          They were at the top of a too-high-to-count story casino in Vegas. Above them was the open sky, a cloudy day without any sunshine. A sign above them read Gamble Zone: Leave our casino as a millionaire.  If only the sign was accurate...

          "Whatever. Check this out." Connor stood up, spun in a 360 degree circle, and randomly fired his sniper rifle down towards the ground.

          Collateral headshot!

          "What!" Envy yelled. He was jealous. "No way!"

          Connor had just sniped two zombies in the head... With one bullet! That's something out of the movies.

          In the near distance there was a quick, bright bolt of lightning. It wasn't that far away. Shortly after, there was a powerful, deafening roar of thunder. The ground vibrated.

          "Do you want the last zombie?" Connor asked.

          The zombies they had been shooting were way, way down in the middle of the street, right outside Gamble Zone. The last zombie, wearing nothing but a thong, appeared to have been a prostitute before she – or it - turned.

          "Whoever said there is no such thing as a stupid question is a stupid person. That was a stupid question. Of course I want the last zombie."

          Envy lined up his reticle, inhaled, counted to three, exhaled, and then pulled the trigger. The prostitute zombie dropped to the ground facing the sky, her breasts exposed to the world. All around her were the dead bodies of the other zombies who had been, just minutes before Envy and Connor showed up, running around looking for whatever food a zombie eats.

          For two fifteen year old kids, they definitely knew how to shoot a weapon. Their parents would be proud; wherever they were...

          There was a building next to Gamble Zone about the same height. It was maybe three stories shorter. They had already planned to travel building to building until they were out of the city. There'd be less zombie encounters that way, as compared to if they walked the streets where the majority of the roads were packed with zombies.

          "Time to go."

          "Yes but let's be careful to make it out of the city without being harmed by a brain-dead."

          "You're the brain-dead," Envy laughed.

          Connor ignored the comment. He grabbed his crossbow and fired it down at the roof of the adjacent building with a trail of rope following the arrow that stuck into a wooden door.

          "I'll tie the rope on our end to the pole of this sign."

          "Perfect!"

          Envy was the first to attach himself to the makeshift zip line. "See ya at the bottom, brain-dead." He playfully saluted his friend, then jumped off the edge of the roof of Gamble Zone.