Chapter 18 ~ Temporary Prison.

Rosik keeps the hatch open at the front of the van the entire ride and unlike last time I refuse to hide in his blind spot.

Instead I sit in the middle of the padded van and glare at him through his rear-view mirror.

Rosik tries to keep his eyes attached to mine throughout most of the journey, only glancing ahead to swerve back onto the road whenever we hit the gravel on the sides.

The atmosphere tense.

"How is Axel going to handle the newbie?" I grit out, sick of the silence and anxiety.

Rosik momentarily frowns at my question as though the thought hadn't even crossed his mind yet but he's quick to recover.

"He will get over it." Rosik replies and shifts higher in his seat to get a better view of my whole body which is crumpled on the floor, swaying with the van and utterly exhausted.

"And will he leave?" I query and fold my arms over my body, trying to hide the rips and tears in my clothing.

Axels threat from earlier is still fresh in my mind and my heart begins to race as I glance out the front window through the latch and notice that Rosik has his lights on, lighting the way.

It's already nighttime and that means that Axel expects my 'decision' in less than twenty-four hours.

I can always hope that our near escape has distracted him or even the newbie enough so that he forgot's about the threat but I severely doubt it.

"Depends on base." Rosik grumbles and I can tell that he wants Axel gone nearly as badly as I do.

"He needs to leave Rosik.."
I take a chance in saying and Rosik raises an eyebrow but remains silent, urging me on.

I take advantage of Rosiks surprising lack of anger at the overall situation and decide to put my faith in him to protect Dana.

I already know that this is a bad idea but my options are severely limited.

"Axel threatened me this morning.."
I begin and Rosik remains calm but thankfully attentive.

I swallow heavily not enjoying having a conversation with him in the slightest but I also know that it needs to be done.

"He told me that I need to choose either Dana or myself to.. Die by tomorrow night. We are causing too many issues being a pair and one of us has to go." I murmur out and my eyes drop to the van floor as they fill with tears.

Saying the words truly make me aware of how vulgar and evil they are.
The pure weight of them leaves me nearly shaking.

Rosik remains silent for a long time, too long and the shaking takes over my flesh as the tension builds.

The van rolls onto gravel once more but this time eases to a stop and I know that we are back in our temporary prison.

Rosik turns off the car and remains seated, the whole back of the van lights up as I presume the traitors truck pulls up behind and soon his lights are switched off as well.

"Rosik?" I question softly as he remains stiff and now his eyes are cast forward and are blank.

I know I've made a mistake but the question is how large of one is it?

"That's why you ran away.."
Rosik murmurs and unconsciously I lean forward to catch his words, desperate to be saved from the silence.

"You ran away because.. of him!
Axel caused you to leave me." Rosik continues and I scrunch my eyebrows together, this man is too deluded for words.