Chapter 6 ~ Frail Family.

Now I'm back in the dusty bedroom and after convincing Dana to read one of the books to keep her distracted I resort to pacing.

When Rosik forced me back into the room an hour ago Dana was already awake, tears streaming down her face and clutching a faded pillow to her chest. I cursed myself for my selfishness, now seeing how emotionally distraught Dana was left to feel when she woke to find herself alone.

The answers I received while helpful were certainly not plentiful.
Rosik refused to answer what they do with the girls that they kidnap, he cheated instead and asked another question. A question that seems stupidly simple but holds far too much importance to answer.

My name.

Again, Rosik back-tracked and asked for my name.
I refused him again and just like that I was dragged back into the room and locked inside.

I know that eventually he'll hear it on the news, assuming that they are keeping tabs on the story. However, any chance I get to deny these brutes of something is a chance I'm going to take.

I have no idea what they will do with that information and up until I can figure out what part Dana and I play in their sick career I refuse to even give them a hint.

Axel still hasn't returned yet, the house is eerily quiet.
I'm hoping that Rosik is taking his anger out on something not breathing and tires himself out, potentially giving Dana and I an edge to escape.
I can hear Dana mumbling some of the tougher words in Pride and Prejudice, her eventual choice and while I usually sit with her and go over the occasional hard word her own words from earlier hold me back.

Once I was locked back in the room I ran straight to Dana's distraught form and clenched her small frame in my arms, trying to soften her frantic heart.

We remained like that for a few minutes, breathing deeply and taking comfort in each other's families warmth.
That was until Dana detached herself and staring intently at my shoulder which was showing due to Rosik's large shirt hanging off my frame, uttered the words that nearly broke me in two.

"I thought that you took your chance and left."
I was physically left speechless, my eyebrows crunched together and I had yet another urge to burst into tears. Dana's gaze while wasn't directed at my face, was still sharp and I could practically feel the heat of it biting into my shoulder.
Dana was angry.

"What? Dana, God no! I would never leave you behind, I'm trying my hardest to get you out." I implore after I struggle to push back my tears.
I can hear the tears behind my words however and I'm shocked further that Dana doesn't acknowledge my emotional state.

"Well, obviously you're not trying hard enough. I've been left clueless and tossed around like a rag doll for the past day, while you disappear and have conversations with the men. You're meant to be protecting me Katie...
So why am I still feeling so scared?" That's it.
The waterworks have begun, tumbling down my cheeks and leaving my hot cheeks sticky and uncomfortable.

What kind of cousin am I?
Of course I shouldn't be leaving her alone like this, from now on where I go Dana goes.

It was stupid of me to face the brutes alone when I could have used that time to make a break for it, Dana right behind. 
No longer being able to handle the uncomfortable feeling covering my face I finally raise my shaking hands and harshly scrub my face, undoubtedly making it redder.
This movement catches Dana's attention and almost as though she is blinking away sleep I notice her eyes soften and her mouth form into a little pout.

"I'm sorry Katie. I know that you're trying to help me! I'm just so scared and bored. I blurt things out when I'm bored. You know that, so please stop crying! I didn't mean it."