Chapter 21 ~ Game On.

I wake up with a parched throat, growling stomach and a sense of anger/shame towards myself for fainting yet again in this house.

All of this hits me before I've even opened my eyes but as I feel fingers roughly combing through my hair I'm suddenly filled with energy and I leap out of the annoyingly comfortable bed.

"Can you just stop touching-"
I growl out as I spin around to face Rosik but I falter as I realise that it's Dana who was sitting next to me on the bed.

My whole body sags as I stare at her in shock for a few moments before tears well in my eyes, making her image swim.

"Rosik wanted me to be the one to wake you up. He doesn't want you getting more stressed." Dana states blandly and I self-consciously pat down my hair and alter my dress.

I must look like an absolute mess for Rosik to actually correctly recognise and interpret how I'm feeling.

As I lift my hands to wipe my eyes and any drool that may be still on my face I freeze as those lifeless eyes flash before mine.
Dana notices my hesitation and her face scrunches as mine undoubtedly pales.

"What happened Katie? I woke up to you screaming last night and then it all went silent. You don't look hurt."
Dana questions before slowly rising to her feet and pulling down her dress also.

I shake my head briefly before responding.
I want to explain to her that hurt is capable of so much more than physical wounds but now isn't the time.

Dana hasn't had to be broken in that kind of way and I'm not going to be the one to shatter her perception of her world.

"I-I just realised last night the severity of the situation." I explain carefully and Dana let's out a light chuckle which is quickly suctioned into the bleak walls.

"It took you this long to figure it out?" Dana stares at me in doubt and I know that she knows that I'm hiding something.

Her eyes are drooped and guarded and I feel a sense of tenseness in the air. I've never felt awkward around my cousin before but right now I really feel as though everything I say holds a higher meaning.
This is my last chance.

"I found a body." I whisper out finally and Dana's whole face lights up which draws a look of concern onto my face.

"You found somebody?!" Dana whisper shouts and quickly leaps over to me before grabbing my hands.

"Who were they?! Did you tell them everything? When will the police be here?" She rambles on and my mind struggles to comprehend her rushed words.

I'm still trying to recover from admitting the truth of what I've seen, actually admitting it makes it real.

"No.." I try to cut in but Dana is too caught up again in her hope.

"No?! The police aren't coming? Wait, is my Dad on his way?!" She nearly squeals and I can't help but cringe and pull my hands out of hers and quickly place them on her shoulders.
Stopping her from practically jumping up and down.

"No! Dana I found a body. A dead body." I grit out and now a few tears do trek their way down my cheeks and Dana follows their trail as she comprehends my words.
All energy sapping out of her body.

"Oh god.." She murmurs and I nod my head in agreement before pulling her stiff body into mine for a tight hug.

I hold her there for a few minutes, now running my hands through her long hair and I force myself to stop crying the moment I feel Dana's shoulders begin to tense and shake.