Chapter 12 ~ Eat Your Greens.

My blue eyes are especially bright tonight as I stare at them through the streaky mirror in the bathroom.

Then again it could have something to do with the various angry red veins striking my iris.

Being a red-head I blush naturally quite brightly and quite regularly and while I wish I could say that this is the reddest I've seen my face, I and many others know that it's a lie.

Both cheeks are painted crimson from Axels hits, the broken capillaries are stark against my pale complexion. From afar some could assume that I've gone too heavy on the blush but upon closer inspection you begin to see the individual finger marks spreading across to my ears.

As I stare at my cheeks, the sound starts echoing in my ears.

The sound of flesh hitting flesh, the sound of two emotions exploding upon impact.

Anger and pain.

The sound of two people fighting, the sound of utter hatred and anguish...
It could be a friend against foe, an enemy against enemy, stranger and unlucky victim or in my past my Dad against my Mum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"How fucking dare you?!"
Mum screams while I sink lower into my chair at the table.

I stare hotly and intensely at the peas rolling around my plate.
Each time something is thrown a pea darts off in a different direction.

I pretend I'm Matilda and that I'm controlling the gross vegetable with my mind.
Willing it to fly off the table and hopefully roll out of sight.

"It's not my fault that you're here you crazy bitch! You told me that you wouldn't be home until seven!"
Dad thunders back as he avoids another plate as it sails through the air and smashes into the cream painted wall behind him.

Thankfully it's plastic and only lets out a hollow cry before hitting the floor. We changed all the kitchen items to plastic, the clean up was getting too messy.

"Katherine felt sick and couldn't go to karate tonight. You promised that you'd limit this to when we were staying somewhere else overnight!" Mum replies quickly and I risk a glance up, breaking my mental connection with the pea and stare worriedly at her shoulders rising and falling too quickly.

The doctors say that she shouldn't get worked up, it's not good for her.

"You haven't been away for months! We both agreed to this Miranda, yet every time we go through the same arguments."

"I agreed only when I wouldn't come face to face with whatever slut you chose next."

It's incredible how quickly a scene can change, tonight Mum and I were getting along really well.

Mum picked me up early from school because I felt sick.
I then got to pick what to have for dinner, besides the whole peas thing.
That was definitely Mums idea.
Then as we were settling down to have our roast chicken meal Dad walked in with a pretty girl.

Mum and Dad call it an 'open relationship.'
I don't think they're doing it right though.

I've checked the doors at night before and they're still locked tight like usual, nothing is left open so I don't get it. Also Mum never brings girls over, Mum has just been crying a lot.

"What did I say about swearing in front of Katherine?!" Dad screams and I jump, startled at my name being brought up.
I'm not usually the girl they focus on during their arguments.