Chapter 17 ~~~ Cold

Nate's POV

" Sir , can we slow down please", I panted. My sides were burning, and we weren't even half way there yet, according to Red. He said he was taking me to a training ground, up on Mt. Silver. We flew most of the way, but we still had to climb the mountain. The harsh and bitter snow and ice made it too dangerous to use Flying types.

" We're almost there , just through this cave, alright? I know it's cold , just hold on", he replied. What amazed me, despite the freezing weather , he still wore just his light jacket, with a t-shirt and jeans. I was wearing two jackets, and shivering. Romney was huddled inside my jacket, his tail poking out, warming me just a little.

" It's okay, buddy, he says we're almost there", I said softly , and he chirped weakly in response. I reached a hand down, and rubbed his forehead. He snuggled into my hand at the touch.

" We're here", the Pokemon master announced, and we stepped through an opening in the cave system. It looked like it led to the peek of the mountain. Snow whirled and howled around us, and I could see shadows moving in the blizzard. " This is my home."

" This is where you live!? You're crazy", I shouted over the wind, and I instantly regretted it. But the trainer didn't respond , only gestured for me to go in front of him. I pulled the jackets tighter around my body, and I started trudging through the snow drifts. Ice crystals started forming in my tear ducts, and I had keep blinking to prevent them from freezing together my eye lids. I spotted a small opening, and I ran inside. It was a cave, but a fire pit was in the middle, embers glowing brightly. I huddled down next to it, and let Romney out. He laid down next to the flame, flicking his tail into the fire to create a blaze. I looked around, and saw shelves cut into the rock , packed with things like food, firewood, and the occasional book. A mattress was put close to the fire, and a sleeping Caterpie was curled up on it.

" I see you've made yourself at home", Red's voice came from behind me, and I glanced over my shoulder to see him standing at the opening, an amused smirk on his face. Upon hearing his voice, the Caterpie woke up, and crawled over to him. It seemed to smile, and nudge his leg. The trainer bent down , and picked it up , rubbing the bug Pokemon's head affectionately.

" You live here?" He nodded , and set the Caterpie down. It shuffled over to me, and titled it's head, curious. I started petting it , and after a moment of surprise and confusion, it made a low chirp, and crawled into my lap.

" I came here after my victory at the Elite Four", he explained, pulling a box of the shelf. " I got some much attention and publicity, and I didn't want that. Suddenly I was something special, when I just loved Pokemon. So I fled here, and train, waiting for challengers. Only one has defeated me before, but right now he lives in Johto. You may meet him someday. Tea?" I nodded, and he pulled a metal tin down, dumping a bundle of leaves into it. " It's a lonely life, but I have Pokemon with me, so it's not all bad". He put the tin into the glowing embers, and small bubbles started poking up to the surface. He poured the boiling water into a small mug, and thrust it into my hands. " Drink".

I sipped it eagerly, ignoring the bitter taste. The warmth spread out , and I could feel myself getting warmer. Romney sniffed at my cup, and I set it on the ground. He looked at it for a while before finally sticking his tongue in. He recoiled at the taste, and stumbled back. I chuckled and so did the other trainer.

" That's a good Pokemon you have. Reminds me of my Charizard when it was just a baby Charmander", he commented. I nodded, rubbing my eyes. I was exhausted. " Sleep, you look tired", Red noted. I laid down on the mattress, and Romney curled up next to me. Red handed me a small quilt, and I curled up, closing my eyes. It was going to be a long training, here on this freezing tower. But the warmth I my Pokemon and the cave soon drove me to sleep.