The Ugly Rich Girl - chapter 11

=============================

The Ugly Rich Girl chapter eleven.

Normal is too Over-rated.

______________________________

My heart nearly stopped as I saw Chance's still body.

I sat down next to the bed, and studied him. Over half of his body was wrapped in bandages or either bruised. His leg was propped up and his right hand was bandaged. His face was completely untouched, but disturbingly pale.

"Chance is very lucky to be here right now." A doctor said, entering the room. "If he hadn't been wearing his helmet, his skull would have been broken on impact." I blinked and looked at the sleeping figure, thankful that he was still here. He was either hurt, or dead; I trembled at both.

I picked up his good hand. I started playing with his fingers. I focused on his chest slowly rising and falling. I squeezed his hand and sighed. He squeezed my hand, and I jumped about a foot in the air. I held my breath and looked at him. The nurse checked a monitor.

"He's waking up." She explained. That made sense.. I blinked and studied his face. His eyes started fluttering. He blinked a few times, and I sat there in shock as he was becoming fully awake. He tried to sit up, and winced.

"Hey," I told him, and placed my hand on his arm. "Take it easy." He looked at me, and I read his face. He looked confused, relieved, and scared.

"Chance, how is your pain from one to ten?" The nurse asked him.

"Two." He replied. It was the first time I had heard him speak in days. It sounded like music in my head. "Wh-what happened?" His face looked confused again, and his hair started to fall in his eyes. He needed a haircut. I gently brushed his hair out of his face, and tucked it behind his ear. He looked at me calmingly, and I gave him a warm smile. I squeezed his hand again.

"You were hit by a drunk driver." The nurse said. "Where does it hurt?"

"My left hand, my leg.." He slowly started moving around. "And my ribs.."

"I'm going to go talk to the doctor. I will also bring you some more pain medication. If you need anything, press the emergency button right next to the bed." She picked up a few papers, and hurried out of the room.

We sat in silence. I looked at the white hospital sheets, not knowing what to say. I swallowed the frog in my throat.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. I looked up at him, and our eyes met. "I'm sorry for thinking you would do anything like that." I looked down and started playing with his fingers again, and they wrapped around mine.

"I forgive you." He said. I looked back up and smiled again, and leaned forward. My fingers pushed the hair back out of his eyes.

"You need a haircut."

"I know." Our lips met, and I forgot about the world. Electricity surged through my whole body. My fingers were going numb with shock. My head was buzzing. For a second, I almost forgot to breathe.

There was a knock on the door. Dammit.

We broke apart, but I held on to his hand. The nurse and a doctor walked into the room. The doctor held Chance's bike helmet in his hand. He held it out to me, and I took it from him. I examined it for anything, and I gasped. There was a huge dent in the side of the helmet, about the size of a grapefruit.

"Oh my God." I whispered. Chance saw it too. "I'll buy you a new helmet." I smiled at him. He chuckled, then took my hand.

"You don't have to."