The Ugly Rich Girl - chapter 25

=============================

The Ugly Rich Girl chapter twenty-five

Goodbye Cali, Goodbye Chance. 

______________________________

Everyone had agreed to change the flight tickets to the day after the funeral. No one wanted to add anything to it, but when I offered, everyone nodded their heads. I thought about just renting a private jet to avoid the hassle, but I decided against it. 

No one wanted to be in the room when they took her off life-support. Chance had one arm against the wall, with his forehead pressed into it and his head down. I was on his other side, holding his hand. Taking a break or not, he needed me.  

Jess and Dave were both sitting in chairs, whispering quietly. Alyssa was curled up holding her knees in her arms, leaning against the wall.  

Everyone jumped up and looked at the door as the doctor walked out. He had a miserable look on his face. 

"I am very sorry for your loss." He said, and opened his mouth, but said nothing else. I held Chance in my arms and his head was buried in my shoulder. I ran my fingers through his hair and whispered softly in his ear that everything was going to be alright. I knew I was lying.  

Three days later was the wake. It was terribly painful to see everyone looking so depressed. But worst of all, was the fact that people visiting seemed to try and say that her life was a gift. It was, but it didn't mask the pain in any case. 

I didn't say anything to Chance the next morning. I straightened his tie, and tried to give him a smile. His eyes were misty again, and I wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him tight. After standing like that for a minute, I broke away and kissed his cheek. I attempted another smile. 

I knew he was grateful I was there, but his face still held loads of pain. I looked at myself in the mirror, and smoothed out the soft material. My black dress reached just above my knees, and had half-sleeves. My hair flowed in waves down my shoulders, and I had put on minimal makeup. I slipped by black flats on, and took a deep breath. 

The funeral was miserable. I was using all of my willpower to keep myself from crying, and I could tell that Chance was too. Our fingers never broke apart for a minute, and by the end I was praying I would have time to massage my hands. We eventually got home, and everyone was packing to avoid the conversation. No one mentioned it, but after we left Jess would be alone for awhile. I remember on the plane here, Alyssa told me that the college she was accepted to was in California, so I was reassured that Jess wouldn't be too lonely for too long. 

As I was packing my clothes, I smiled. The trip was unforgettable. So many crazy memories were laced into the adventures that we had taken in California. Chance's club fight, the car crash, and Chloe. After all the madness too, Chance and I had still managed to stay sane - partially - but know what was good for the both of us. We settled on giving each other four weeks of alone time. I told him that I didn't mind if he saw other people, but I couldn't admit that it was what I really wanted. He said the same for me, and also mentioned that he still wanted to keep in touch. When four weeks was over, we would get together and decide what was best for us depending on what feelings were still present.  

It was sad to think about being apart from Chance. He was there for me, every day. I was there for him too, but without him I was practically alone. I swore to myself that during our break, I would meet new people and gain friends.  

"Hey, have you seen my black shirt?" Chance asked, startling me out of my thoughts.  

"Which one?"