The Ugly Rich Girl - chapter 28

=============================

The Ugly Rich Girl

Colleges and Choices 

______________________________

The days slowly passed and the temperature was at a stand-still as it moved into mid August. Summer was coming to an end and the shift to the school year was starting, and after numerous shopping trips we finally had all of our school supplies.

"Let's go!" Chance called from the doorway.

"Gimme a minute!" I called back, and checked my makeup for the last time.

"You look fine!" Chance said.

"You can't even see me!" I retorted, turning in the direction of the doorway. I took one last look in the hallway mirror and stepped out into the entryway. "All these salty bitches don't know what they're in for."

"'Salty'? Did you really just use that word?"

"I did." I gave him a cheeky smile.

"Language!" My mother called from the kitchen. "I don't need to hear vulgar words at eight in the morning!" I smiled.

"Besides, we're probably not going to see anyone anyways. It's just the open house."

"And the freshy orientation," I groaned. "God, I think I would pay them to ditch school every day."

Chance laughed, and looked at me for a moment before saying, "Could you, please?"

"I don't think it would take much to get them out of school."

"No, I think the opposite. See, they are so flipping cheerful to come to school and learn and then not do any of their homework. They like to feel like little rebels, but their inner teenage fuck-this-shit isn't quite showing."

"Language!" My mother scolded again. The smile reappeared on my lips.

"Okay, let's get out of here."

Stepping into school after two and a half months was as bad as it sounded. Freshmen were loud and obnoxious as they got in groups for the orientation, and we left for the cafeteria to grab our schedules and get our yearbook pictures taken. My hair was straightened, but I wasn't getting my picture taken. I was getting my senior pictures this saturday.

Senior pictures.

The words sounded sweet in my head, and the joy was added as the lady with folders of schedules asked, "Senior?" with a smile. Being a senior meant being releaved of all of this. High school would be over soon, and all of the people with it. I quickly nodded, and she grabbed the folder for seniors.

"Cade," I told her.

"Have you been accepted to any colleges yet?"

"Yes, I got many letters. I'm still waiting for Columbia, though."

"Oh! Where have you already been accepted?"

"Duke, Cornell, and Yale."

Her face exploded in color.

"Oh my!" She held a hand to her heart for emphasis. "I do hope you get into Columbia, but the other few do not sound like bad options."

I smiled, and thanked her while taking the schedule from her. Chance quickly got his, and then turned to me with a grim expression locked on his face.

"What's wrong?" I asked as we walked away from the desk. He shrugged, and the expression on his face softened a bit.

"Chance," I pressed. 

He ignored me like I hadn't spoken to him, and threaded his fingers in mine while pulling me towards the door. What was wrong with him?

When we got to my car, he sat down without another word. I shoved the keys in the ignition, but didn't turn them. Instead, I turned to him.