The Ugly Rich Girl - chapter 26

============================

The Ugly Rich Girl chapter twenty-six

Finding the Strength

____________________________

One minute I was on the plane, the next crying in Auntie Mac's arms. People getting into cars turned and looked, though I didn't mind their watchful eyes. I had texted her that I was coming when I purchased the tickets, but she didn't know why I was coming. Hell, I didn't even know why I was. 

She quickly decided it would be best to get me in the car, so I explained to her everything that happened in California in detail. No less than forty-five minutes later we arrived at the beach house, and I was breathless. 

I fiddled with my backpack straps as Mac grabbed my suitcase from the trunk, and followed her timidly into the beach house. Before opening the door, she turned around. 

"You should know, Josh is here as well as his sister," Mac said, and I gaped at her.

"His sister?! I don't want to be around anyone!" I protested. 

"Oh dear," she grumbled. "His sister is your age, she just turned seventeen in June. She's on and off with her boyfriend too." 

"Chance and I are not on and off!" That gave her a good laugh. 

Once the door opened, we were greeted by Josh who was sitting at the kitchen table munching on popcorn. A dark haired head just peeked out over the couch, and then it turned and a face appeared. 

The girl sitting on the couch was petite and full of energy. She leaped up from the couch and bounded over to us with a smile plastered on her face.

Oh god, I thought. What have I gotten myself into

She wrapped her arms tightly around me in a hug, and I stood there for a few moments making conflicted eye-contact with Mac. Then, after she shrugged, I raised my arms a bit around Josh's sister.

"My name's Emma," she said once she pulled away. "Mackenzie talks about you all the time and it kind of drives my brother crazy, but I think it's super adorable. It's like you guys are sisters!" 

"Practically," I said. That was pretty much the only word I got in that night. We sat on the couch and I heard her tell what was as long as a life story- later told as her love story- for the whole night until eleven. 

"I'm tired," I told her. I stood up from the couch and went to grab my suitcase. Crazy bitch

"Oh no! You're telling me all about you and your boyfriend!" 

I was fueled by my exhaust and anger, so I turned around to face her.

"I have listened to you explain your freaking life story for two hours, I'm going to bed!" I snapped. 

She stood up from the couch, and I was almost taken aback. 

"Excuse you?" Her voice was threateningly low, which produced a scowl from me.

"You heard me," I said, and picked up my suitcase. 

"Listen here." Her tone was so chilling that I stopped in my place. "If you want to be lonely and depressed that you left your stupid boyfriend, go ahead. But you will not disrespect me. I don't care if this isn't my house. I deserve your respect. I'm trying to be your friend. I'm not extending my hand of friendship out again to you if you don't accept it now." 

"Holy shit, Emma," I nearly laughed. "No wonder why your boyfriend said it wasn't working, you're scary as shit when you're mad."

She smirked and said, "I do try."