39.

I was sitting at the kitchen bench, lost in thought. We had both arrived home and Roman excused himself to work in his study while I planted my butt down on the stool.

I didn't realise how much time had passed until Roman pulled me put off my thoughts. I was still dressed in my work clothes, my teal skirt and white blouse when Roman spoke.

"You look very distant."

I set my eyes on to him. "Uh, yeah. I was just thinking." And I was.

"What about?" Roman asked cautiously.

"Pregnancy." I muttered. I was, just not mine, but Roman didn't know about Macy. "Hope is due any day now I think. I'm about eight weeks and I'm still so scared. Then I had lunch today with Macy, as you know and don't say anything, but she got herself knocked up as well."

"Well that's great, I think. You can have support from each other."

I gave Roman a pointed look that had him regretting his words.

"I didn't tell her." I grumbled. Roman sat next to me as he listened. "Macy had enough on her plate without me adding to it because I know my friends will flip when I tell them. She was in enough stress as it was. The man she was with left her, refuses to acknowledge the pregnancy and she is alone."

Macy liked kids, I know that much.

"I know she is shocked about it, but I told her the shock will wear off."

Roman was looking at me with a small grin.

"This isn't a funny moment, Roman. I'm worried about Macy."

"I know. I love that you care for your friends, I really do but you can't stress too much yourself."

I screwed my face up. "Why not?"

I saw Roman was trying to say something but as soon as he dropped his jaw to say it, he snapped it shut again. Instead, he leaned forward, kissed my forehead and got off the stool and left the room.

I didn't tell him about what I purchased today. I picked up a new pair of heels, gorgeous and they were part of something I was planning in my head. The other item was something I spotted in a store window I was walking past on my way back to work from after lunch.

A teddy. I had walked in to the shop and looked at the teddy bear. My fingers hesitantly touched the soft fur and I picked it up. It smelt like lavender. Without a second thought, I purchased the bear and shoved it in my handbag I used for the day. That's where it still is.

But apart from worrying about Macy, I know I still had Georgia to deal with. She was the other reason why I decided to have lunch with Macy today. She was kissing me off. She has been since I find out she was running back to Roman.

She did it today as well. I screwed up, porpusely and made a big deal out of it and within twenty minutes Roman was on the phone, asking me was everything okay. I had played dumb, not knowing what he meant and that I did make a mistake but it was so minor and Georgia was blowing it out off proportion. Hence, the new heels.

Dinner was a quiet affair as I picked at my food, not really hungry, moving the meat around in the gravy. I still wanted to confront Georgia and Roman but in a way, I also wanted to play about, screw around with their heads.

So the next day, I had a plan. I went to work with Roman, went to my office and slipped my flats off and put on heels. When it got closer to our usual lunch time, I rang Roman, told him that I'm too swamped for lunch and I had a report I desperately needed to do.

Then I hung up and called out to Toni, making sure Georgia heard, telling her I won't be out for lunch. She had asked me if I wanted anything ordered in and I said no, I'm skipping lunch.