22.

Roman's P.O.V

I had heard the desperate plea in her voice as she explained to me what was happening.

I stayed quiet, listening to her turmoil.

She really was trying to stop. I felt so obliged to help her. She was actually reaching out and in her own way, asking for help.

I heard her phone ring and went straight towards it, looking at the screen as I answered.

It was Macy.

"Yo, you can't hide forever." I heard her.

I felt so annoyed that her friends wouldn't let her be. "Sorry, but no. Grace has other plans."

I hung the phone up and put it back on my desk. She willingly gave it to me. She came here without being told and gave me her phone.

I rotated around, my hands behind me on the desk as I just watched her big large eyes.

I've been trying not to snap at her. Or yell. But I seem to be doing a better job at doing that lately.

"Thank you." Grace said to me as she stayed sitting on the sofa. I watched her fiddle with her fingers.

I strolled over to her and took her hands. "Stop that." I said as I knelt in front of her.

"What are you doing?" She asked me as I saw her search my eyes.

"Making sure you stop picking your nails."

She gave me a small smile. "What has happened to you? Why are you being so kind, especially to me?"

Why must I answer this? It meant making myself vulnerable. It will make me look weak. I sat next to Grace, still cupping her soft hands.

"I went to visit my grandfather."

Grace looked at me intently. "I didn't know you had one." She spoke softly.

"Yes. I did." I remembered how weak and fragile my grandfather looked on his deathbed.

"Oh. I'm sorry, Roman." Grace squeezed my hands.

"My week there, I only spent a couple days with him before he died. I never knew my grandmother, she died before I was born."

Grace listened to me as I opened up.

"My grandfather was a kind and caring man, to me and the rest of his grandchildren. But he was a cold and calculating man to anyone else. He was a tough business man, ruthless and callous."

"It must run in the bloodlines." I heard her and I registered her teasing me. I looked hard at her until her face became sober.

"My grandfather didn't pass away alone. But he did pass away a lonely man. It had me thinking to all the things you have called me over the past couple months."

I saw Grace stare wide eyed at me. Was there something on my face?

"I'm sorry. I'm trying to wrap my head around you talking to me still."

"Grace!" I then snapped at her.

"Okay, I'm sorry. Continue." I saw her trying not to smile.

"I am my grandfather. Don't say anything." I warned her as soon as her mouth opened. I heard her phone ring again as her attention waned. "Ignore it."

"But it might be my parents, well, mum." She said. I let her hands go and went back to the desk.

On the screen I saw Macy. Again? Can't she take a hint? I already gave her the answer. I answered it.