15.

Romans P.O.V

I held Grace tightly as her knees weakened under her.

I had seen her running and pulled over, ready to stop her. I saw how she ran in to traffic and didn't even look back. How a car had nearly flattened her and my heart had stopped and time stood still for that split second.

I held her tighter as she cried in to my shirt. I looked at the direction she came and saw a group of people walking away and a police car.

Grace has been in trouble with the law before, surely she wasn't running away from them? But I have seen her records, she had been charge with resistance.

The police car came closer and pulled up in front of my car, on the wrong side of the road.

"Is she alright?" The officer called out from his window before opening the door.

I looked down at Grace as her cries died down. "Uh I think so." I told the officer. I had no idea what had happened.

"It looked like she was being harassed by a group of delinquents. They are known to hang around here."

I thanked the officer for intervening the scene and put Grace in the car.

She had stopped crying, but she still let out a sob every now and then.

I drove away from there and drove for several minutes, sneaking looks, before actually speaking.

"Are you okay?" I asked her softly.

I thought I saw her nod. "No. Pull over."

"I can't pull over." I checked out around me for traffic.

"Pull over!"

I swerved to the left and parked the car in the ditch next to bushland on the small motorway.

Grace jumped out ran.

I followed, calling her, but she didn't go far.

She bent over and spewed. I went to her and stood behind her holding her hair back.

Grace breathed heavily before standing upright. I took her back to the car and we took off again.

She was quiet and I thanked every God out there that she was safe.

I don't know what I would do if that officer never turned up. I couldn't even think of it. Grace was pale as she stared right ahead.

"I'll take you home." I said to her as she replied nothing back.

I took my time as I headed for the suburbs. Grace just sat there. I slowly pulled up to her house. I got out off the car and went around to Grace's side, opening the door for her.

She slowly got up and I walked her to the door. But she didn't open the door or knock.

She turned to me, a hollow look on her face and I felt so guilty that I was a part of the reason for that look.

"I'm sorry." She said to me. I was stunned. "I'm sorry for not listening."

The last thing she needed was someone to say I told you so.

"No, I was too harsh."

Grace shook her head. "There's a reason for it. I never saw the world that bad before."

I gaped at her. Doesn't she watch the news? The rapists and murderers out there?

"Thank you for bringing me home." She said as she looked at the wooden door.