Chapter 25 The End Of The Beginning

The sound of gentle paw steps approaching her nest awoke Brokenstar the next morning, and she slowly blinked open her odd eyes to see Thunderheart's silhouette blocking the light from the den entrance. The soft, warm body of Stoneforest shifted beside her as he was awoken as well, his jaws opening in a wide yawn. Stoneforest had begun to share Brokenstar's nest in her den now that they were mates, and she was glad to finally have someone else to cuddle with at night.

"Thunderheart?" Brokenstar rasped groggily, sitting up on her haunches as she tried to come to her senses. The dark tom bowed his head to the black she-cat in respect before rumbling.

"It is dawn, Brokenstar. The time has come." Memories slapped the clan leader in the face. DeathClan was going to attack StormClan today. They have to leave immediately, while her brother's clan was still asleep.

"Yes. Yes it has. Let's gather our clanmates." Brokenstar gave a curt nod to her deputy and he exited her den. She turned and nudged her precious mate to his paws affectionately. "Let's go, my darling." She purred warmly as Stoneforest licking her nose. The couple stepped out into their camp to see that majority of DeathClan was already awake and ready to fight.

"Alright, Brokenstar! Let's tear those mange-pelts to shreds!" Bloodmoon snarled eagerly, her eyes a blue fire. Yowls of agreement erupted behind her, including Shadowpaw and Darkpaw. Brokenstar grinned at their enthusiasm, jumping up onto her tree stump.

"Cat's of DeathClan, it is time to fight!" She began, loud cheers echoing after her. "But first I'd like to invite two new warriors into this battle! Rockpaw, Moltenpaw! Step forward!" She smiled even woder at the shock on the two young toms faces as they hesitantly approached the base of the tree stump.

"I Brokenstar, leader of DeathClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down upon these two apprentices. They have worked hard the learn the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn." Brokenstar jumped down from the tree stump and stood before the two young cats. "Moltenpaw, Rockpaw, do you promise to uphold the Warrior Code and protect your clan, even at the cost of your lives?"

"I do." Rockpaw answered sternly, determination arising deep within his irises.

"I do!" Moltenpaw gave an excited bounce as he replied to his leader.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior names. Rockpaw, from this day forward you shall be known as Rockfall. StarClan honors your bravery and your strength. Moltenpaw, from this day onward you shall now be known as Moltenblast. StarClan honors your loyalty and your honesty. I welcome you as full warriors of DeathClan." Brokenstar recited the ancient ceremony ritual with ease, resting her muzzle on the forehead of each tom while they licked her shoulder in return.

"Rockfall! Moltenblast! Rockfall! Moltenblast!" The cats cheered brightly to the new warriors; even Brokenstar cheered loudly for then.

"Now," Brokenstar cried out to quiet her clan. "Let's go fight!" She leaped from the tree stump and pelted across the camp clearing to the rocky entrance. Her clan followed close to her heels as she raced out into the forest toward the thunderpath, their determination only making them run faster.

It was too early for twoleg monsters to be using the thunderpath, so all was silent when the many cats streaked over the rough, black surface. Soon enough horseplace was coming into view on the horizon, and the clan cats slowed to a brisk trot.

"Here's the plan..." Brokenstar panted as they pushed through the fragile grass and decaying foliage. "I need us to split up into two groups. One of us will sneak into the barn and attack from there, then the second wave of cats will rush in at my call. You'll know when that is. Thunderheart will lead the second battle patrol. Pick your cats. We'll set up when we arrive at the barn." She glanced at Thunderheart, who gave her a nod of approval.

"What if we fail, Brokenstar?" Rockfall's concerned mew caught everyone's attention, and was followed by an utter silence that was only broken by the swishing of grass and the nearly inaudible thumping of paws. Brokenstar didn't say anything for the next few moments, until she finally gave a heavy sigh.

"We can't fail." She simply replied, watching the big red barn come closer and closer into view. Before she knew it, her cats had gathered around the front of the barn, the reek of StormClan drifting through the air thickly.

"Alright. You know the plan. Cats that don't belong to Thunderheart's patrol, follow me." Brokenstar ordered firmly, her barely visable scar beginning to tingle. She narrowed her eyes as she pushed her way into the barn through the little hole in the red wall. Several cats mimicked her as she picked her way silently into the center of the building, careful not to step on any hay that littered over the concrete floor. She spotted Darkpaw, Skunktail, Bloodmoon and Moltenblast among the group of cats that had come with her. Stoneforest and Shadowpaw must've stayed behind with Thunderheart's patrol. Oh, StarClan, please be on our side. This is it...

She felt her heart hammer against her ribcage as she inhaled deeply. "DeathClan attack!" She howled into the air, her cry bouncing off of the barn walls and echoing into nothingness. Almost instantly screeches and caterwauls filled the atmosphere as cats collided with cats and claws ripped through fur. Blood stench arose and suffocated the air as bodies were thrown around like ragdolls.

Brokenstar slammed into a tabby tom and threw him to the floor, raking her claws across his face repeatedly. "You deserve this, fox-heart!" She spat crossly as she continued to claw his face off.

"Ripfang!" Another cream tabby tom yowled in fear, charging toward Brokenstar and barreling her into the mounds of hay. "Leave while you can, you piece of mouse-dung!" The larger tom snarled menacingly, his liquid fire eyes burning into her flesh. Brokenstar flashed him her own fangs and kicked her hindpaws into his stomach, sending him sprawling backward. She could see her cats were slightly outnumbered and now was the perfect opportunity to call out to Thunderheart.

"DeathClan attack now!" She screamed as loud as she could, and the second battle patrol rushed into the barn with speed and furiousity. The StormClan cats yowled in surprise but had no choice but to stick it out and continue to fight for their lives.

"Well, well. What do we have here?" Brokenstar whirled around at the sickeningly familiar voice to see him. His black and white fur clung to his nimble, skinny frame and his icy blue eyes bore into Brokenstar's skin like flaming spears. Wolfstar!

"It looks like we have a rodent trying to toil with my intentions." He chuckled devilishly, a wicked look contorting his facial features. Brokenstar barely even recognized him, he looked so gaunt and small.

"It's over, Wolfstar. This ends here." Brokenstar snapped in response, unsheathing her claws and fluffing out her pelt. Wolfstar laughed wildly again, sending shivers down her spine.

"Yes, it does end here. For you!" He roared and gave a mighty leap at his older sister with extended claws. Brokenstar braced herself for the fight of her life; a fight where she might have to even kill her own little brother.

-- DUNDUNDUNN! Cliff-hanger folks! And that concludes book 1 of The Broken Path!(: I'm gunna start something different, but once this book reaches 150 reads I'm gunna start creating a sequel! Thanks for reading guys! Love ya!<3