Chapter 21

*Seasons Later*

"Let the gathering commence!" Blackstar's deep bellow echoed throughout the island as he sat up within the branches of the Great Oak beside the other clan leaders. The many, many cats below were silenced almost immediately as they settled with their designated clanmates. The massive white tom had grown frail, as if he were on his very last life.

"ShadowClan is doing well this New-Leaf, and we have no worries for the coming Leaf-Fall. No new deaths have come to us, but our deputy has stepped down to the elders den. Dawnpelt is the new deputy!"

"Dawnpelt! Dawnpelt! Dawnpelt!" All of the clans cheered blissfully for the new ShadowClan deputy, the proud gray she-cat bowed her head in reponse to the chants of approval.

"I'm also proud to announce the arrival of Adderflower's kits this past moon. Their names are Newtkit, Graykit and Pinekit. That is all." Blackstar finished, his amber eyes flashing toward Mistystar as she began to speak for RiverClan.

"All is well in RiverClan." The blue-gray she-cat started, a purr rising in her throat as she spoke. "There haven't been any sightings of twolegs so far. So I'm proud to announce that Troutsplash and Riverstrike are now warriors!"

"Troutsplash! Riverstrike! Troutsplash! Riverstrike!" The clans cheered once more, their cries bouncing off the surrounding trees that loomed around the edges of the island. Mistystar stepped back and allowed Bramblestar to take her place upon the pretruding branch.

"ThunderClan has no worries for the approaching cold season; we are prepared for the worst. Cherrydrop has recently had a litter of kits, and Purdy has joined StarClan two sunrises ago. He will be greatly missed." Bramblestar announced sorrowfully, his amber eyes falling to his broad paws as he finished speaking. A deep rumble arose next, turning their attention to a skinny black tom that sat on the branch right above Bramblestar.

"I am sad to say that Onestar last his last life this past moon, and since our previous deputy had retired to the elders den, I received my nine lives from my ancestors."

"Crowstar! Crowstar! Crowstar!" The clans yowled to the stars, feeling proud for the cat who was once known as 'Crowfeather'. He was one of the few chosen cats to have made the legendary journey to the sun-drown place, along with Bramblestar.

"Prey and water are still plentiful for WindClan." Crowstar continued, flicking his tail-tip anxiously. He seemed slightly nervous simce this was his first time speaking at a gathering. "Flightpaw and Asterpaw are now apprentices, and Harestreak is now a warrior." The names were chanted just like the previous clan cats. Then another new voice aroused once Crowstar finished, and all eyes locked onto the strikingly familiar black she-cat as she exited the shadows of the Great Oak. Her red eye glinted more vibrantly than her blue, and her scar was beginning to blend in with her fur as it slowly grew back after seasons of healing.

"All is well in DeathClan. Prey is plentiful, and water is as fresh as ever." Brokenstar purred satisfactorily, her translucent whiskers vibrating. "I am proud to announce the arrival of my kits, Shadowkit and Darkkit! They are all healthy and will make wonderful warriors in the future. StarClan has blessed us all. This gathering is dismissed!" With a swish of her feathery tail, the five clan leaders descended the Great Oak, searching for their deputies and clanmates to head back to camp. Brokenstar found Thunderheart in a heart-beat and followed him to her small patrol of cats. They quickly tried to make it to the fallen tree bridge before the other clans so they could get back to camp as soon as possible.

"How come you won't reveal the father of your kits, Brokenstar?" Thunderheart questioned in puzzlement as he fell in step with his leader. The black she-cat stiffened momentarily, then relaxed before replying.