Chapter 16

"Mom!" I yell, "Mom." I scream, running into the house.

Seth tries to stop me, but he can't, I'm already inside of the fire. It doesn't hurt, but I can still die from lack of air. I hear Seth start to talk, I'm guessing he is calling the fire department.

My eyes start to water from the smoke, I see my stairs are on fire and their is a hole in the roof. I can run across or through fire without hurting, but I will still get burned and I could die from lack of air or getting burned to badly.

I start coughing from the smoke and I take my shirt off, tying it around my head. I know I look horrible, but right now it's life or death.

I hear my mother scream upstairs and I look around for a way to get upstairs. I see a plastic chair that is by the hole in the roof.

The fire is close to the plastic, causing it to melt, but not catch on fire yet. I run over, grab it and put it under the hook in the ceiling. I stand up on it, reaching
Up to my ceiling and pulling myself up. I swing my leg over to edge and stand up just before the chair brakes under my pressure and jumping.

"Mom!" I yell. "Where are-" I start coughing. "Where are you!" I choke out.

My eyes water even more from being closer to the flames. My arms slide past a flame and I see a burn already starting.

"Charity!" My mom yells back.

I hear her voice, it's from the bathroom.

I'm run to the bathroom and jump over the flames that cut me off from entering the bathroom.

My mom is sitting there in a towel, sitting on the closed toilet. I see the water in the huge bathtub and a candle by the curtains. I'm guessing that's where the fire started.

I take the shirt off of my head and hand it to her, she throws it over her head and ties the towel tigger around her waist. I slide off my shorts and give them to her. She takes them, puts them on and then grabs my shoulders.

"Charity, I'm scared." She cries.

"It's okay, it's okay, come on." I look around the bathroom.

I run over to the tub, only in my bra and underwear, and kneel by it. I push the tub over and all the water flows across the bathroom floor to the curtains that are on fire. Good thing my mom likes those old crawl tubs.

"Where's Harold?" I yell over the simmering sound of the fire burning everything in sight.

"At work!" She yells back.

I grab her wrist and pull the burnt curtains off of the window, throwing them onto the ground. I open the window and pull her to it. She crawls out onto the roof and goes to the edge, sitting with her legs dangling over it. I follow her, walking out to the edge.

I look over the yard and see two fire trucks parked in the drive way and I see a group of fireman and firewomen running towards the house with a hose. I help my mom off the roof, into the porch railing. She holds her self off the roof with her arms until she finds the railing and she jumps off of it,
Into the yard.

The fire starts to spread to the roof, the roof starts to crack and burn under the heat.

I can't jump off, I'm scared of heights. I turn around to find a flame in my face. I scream and crawl to the window. The roof brakes ,under my pressure, and I fall down onto the first floor.

"Charity!" I hear a boy yell.

Then I see blackness, my head hitting the ground with force.