Chapter 14

I look into Kendall's room and she isn't there, like she told me she wouldn't be.

I hear a noise downstairs and I don't know what it is. Kendall isn't home and I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a dog or a cat.

Slowly walking downstairs, I grab a knife from the kitchen. It's daylight outside, but a lot of curtains and blinds are closed, so her house is a little dark in areas.

I walk to around a corner to go to the dinning room and I see Seth eating a sandwhich. I drop my hand, that is holding the knife, down to my side.

"You scared the shit out of me!" I yell at Seth.

Seth turns around, a mouth full of sandwhich, "You have a knife? Really?"

"Yes, really!" I say, walking back to the kitchen to put it back.

"Where's kendall?" He asks, following me.

"She had to take the drunken Britney home, so she should be home later." I tell him, sliding the knife into its holder.

"Oh, okay." He continues, "I have a few questions."

"About?" I ask, looking in the fridge.

"You."

"Oh, okay, go on." I say, grabbing a yogurt.

"Hand me one." He says, "and if you get shot or stabbed, do you still die?"

I grab another and two spoons, "Yeah. I'm not immortal. I only don't feel pain. I'm basically a walking pharmacy." I tell him, walking over to him and sitting in a stool at the island.

"Why can't you feel pain?" He asks.

"I don't know. My mom won't talk to the doctor about it, she says that they will use me for testing or some shit." I say and hand him his yogurt.

"Oh, well, I don't think they will." He says, opening his.

"Why not?" I ask, peeking a glance at him.

"Because, I forget where this little girl lived, but she was around 6 or 10 and she didn't feel pain either." He takes a bite of his yogurt, "the doctor put a hot casting iron to her leg and she sat there and stared at it."

"I think I'm going to look into that." I tell him.

"She kind of looked like you." He states.

"Any more questions?" I ask, ignoring his comment.

"Can you feel any other emotion like sadness, madness... Love." He asks, looking over at me.

I swallow my yogurt and set it on the counter, "Yes. I have felt sadness and I have been mad before, but I never felt love. I don't know if I can or if I just haven't experienced it yet."

"I think you will soon." He takes another spoonful of his food.

"Why do you think that?" I ask, looking over at him.

"I just do."