Chapter 6

We walk into my first class, math which I hate, and every one stops talking and looks over at me. I am not used to people staring or paying attention to me so I just smile politely at them. Nervousness kicks in and my palms start to sweat so I wipe them on my skirt.

"Oh, you must be charity!" A voice yells.

I turn and look to a guy in a suit and glasses walking up to me. The teacher, I reckon.

"Yeah." I speak softly.

"Well, hello, I am Mr. Bobby." He smiles and shakes my hand.

I try not to crinkle my nose at his hand shaking mine so hard. The class just stares at me and I notice that my neighbor is in this class. Crap. I really need to get some new clothing that shows a little more. I should ask my mom, or maybe Harold.

"Did someone just die?" Some guy voice asks. It's him. My neighbor.

"Now ,Josh, be nice to our new student." He teases.

"Look at her clothes. It's like she is going to a funeral." He remarks.

A light red tints my cheeks and I get frustrated.

"Josh. Alright, that's enough." He steers me by the small of my back to a seat, my seat.

I sit and bite my lip to not cry. I usually am not noticed.

"I'll be back. I need to get your homework from the printer." Mr. Bobby tells us and leaves the classroom.

"Oh, come on Joshua." A male voice laughs. "She isn't that bad."

Instead of turning around, I just listen.

"Dude, yeah, she is!" I hear josh.

"Just imagine what's under all the church clothes." The whole class laughs.

Josh laughs, "Matt!" He laughs more.

Matt speaks, "It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for."

I stand up and run from the class. I was taught that violence was not the answer. Right now I would kill to punch him in the face, brake his nose. Or Matt's face. My fists clench at my sides and I feel like a coward, because I am.

"Shut the fuck up!" I hear kendall yell.

"What are you gonna do about it, kendall? Hit us like you do to all the girls?" Matt laughs.

"Yeah!"

"Fuck! She hit me!" I hear a minute later.

"You're bleeding." Josh tells him.

This brings my madness down a notch but I'm still pissed. Yeah, that's right, I just cursed.

"Charity?" Kendall asks, I look at her in the mirror.

"Yeah?" I squeak. I feel so small, even on my first day.

"Are you okay?"

I ignore her question, "Did you hit him?"

She answers calmly, "Yeah.." She acts like she does this all the time, like its a natural thing to just walk up and punch someone in the face.

"Why?" I ask, I'm not used to someone standing up for me. I'm also not used to people paying any attention at all to me thought either.

"He messed with my best friend." She admits. I have never been called somebody's best friend before.

"I just came here today." I add, pointing out the obviously.

"Yeah, but I know we will get along just fine." She smirks, her bright red lips make her teeth look whiter.

"You're so different." I laugh, calming down. She stood up for me more in five minutes than Tina or Sue ever did back in Flordia.

"How?" She asks, confused.

"You hit people. I run. You dress in short shorts and a crop top. I dress in a long skirt and loose blouse. you can wear makeup, I can't." I list.

She furrows her brow, "Why can't you?"

"My mom doesn't let me." I admit, telling the truth.

"Dressing different or wearing makeup doesn't define you or you're personality. It isn't going to kill her if she doesn't know." Kendall shrugs, jumping up onto the sink counter. She taps the heel of her boots off the sideing.

"I know, but I was taught to do these things. I don't want to disappoint her." I avoid her eye contact, I don't want to lose her as a friend, but I'm not going to lie.

"Would you rather her be proud of you or be bullied for the way you look?" She asks and I answer truthfully.

"Her be proud of me."

"Wow." She scoffs, "Your mom sure has her perfect claws in you deep."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"She is controlling you life. You know the quote 'Strict parents make sneaky children'? Well, that's what she is doing. You're gonna have to grow up sometime. Do you want to be like your mother?" She asks and I shake my head.

"Then, come." She holds her hand out and I grab her fingers, she pulls me out and I follow her.

I am suddenly afraid of what she is going to do.