Chapter 19

A/N: this chapter got deleted accidentally, I am re-writing it. I didn't get to add the details yet or fix the typeos. Sorry!
-----------

I turn in my sleep, trying to get comfortable with all these cords and needles in my body. I groan, my eyes blink a few times and I look at the clock, 12:21.

I haven't slept all night, barley anyway. The nurses kept coming in to check on me and give me pills to take. They keep saying I'll be sent home in a day or two, they jus want to be sure I am okay.

But I'm fucking fine and I want to go home and sleep in my five-hundred dollar bed, with my silk sheets and memory-foam pillows. Spoiled? Yes, but I'm tired of being stabbed with needles and them shoving pills down my throat. I'm fine.

Knock, knock.

I look over to see Harold in the doorway, holding a tray of waffles with fruit. I smile sadly. He looks at me, as if asking if he can come in, and I nod.

He slowly makes his way over to me and sets the tray down on my lap as I lean against the headboard.

"Sleep good?" He asks, taking a seat beside me.

"Nope." I rip the waffle into pieces and take small bites of the buttery goodness.

He chuckles, "Me either."

"Look..." I swallow hard, "Harold, I'm-"

"Don't, Charity." He holds his hand up, "I understand what you were going through."

"You do?" I raise an eyebrow and he nods.

"You were angry, I get it. Let me tell you a little story." He pulls his ankle up to his knee and crosses his hands. "When I was young, about eleven, my father got with another women, after he got divorced a year earlier. My brother and I- We were very mean to her. She did all the things a perfect mother would do; She kept the house clean, she made dinner, she helped us with homework, took us to school and sports practices. But my brother and I wouldn't have it, we tortured her. We said hateful things, we did unforgiving things. And one day, she up and left, because of us. Our father was very disappointed in us. He was very depressed, without her in his life, he never got out of bed and hardly ate- he wouldn't talk to either of us. And it was to late. He couldn't get her back, because of us. His happiness we over- because we were selfish."

There is a small silence as I think about the things he said. He let's me take it all in and waist for me to speak.

"So, that's why?" I sqeak, my voice frail.

He nods, "That's why."

"I'm still sorry though." He