Getting Drunk

Diya's  P.O.V 

My routine was simple, getting up, earlyyyy, running on the footpath (I had to join the Gym nearby) outside their house oh correction "my house", getting back home, making myself a chocolate milkshake which seemed like the only relief these days, smiling to their cook, Laxmi Didi, Occasionally chatting with my father-in-law about the stock market,  avoiding any body else on the way to my room (especially my mother-in-law who detested me), avoiding to make any eye contact or conversation with my husband, taking a bath, skipping the breakfast with the 'family' on account of having morning meetings and finally making it to the office. Coming back wouldn't be an issue at all, I made sure that I had enough work on hand to ensure that reached the house only after everybody was asleep, of course I then came back, peacefully had the dinner that Laxmi didi left for me, listened to a little music and then fell asleep in my Hulk tee and boxers. They had pretty efficient people to do the laundry so that was definitely an advantage. I continued this invisible cycle very efficiently at least till the 7 days, even though I had put up my posters on the wall of my side of the bed. Arjun didn't react to them, maybe because we didn't wanna interact. 

On the 7th day from our impromptu ceremony I had a party to attend and of course Abhi (my bestfriend) was coming for the weekend. The party was the engagement party of Akhil, my Ex-boyfriend. 

I returned early from the office, got ready and around 6 in the evening, came down,of course putting on an all covering over coat to avoid giving people a look of the sleaziest of my dresses, (in my defense, I just wanted to feel good and also it was an ex-boyfriend's party). I saw Shreya, Arjun's sister, a sweet girl learning to deal with the discrepancies of adulthood, taking a look at a video, it was one of the wedding videos, she saw me come down and brought it to me as well. In no time my 'beloved' mother in law suddenly landed in the video, so the video was certainly shot accidentally as she was totally going on bitching about me to her dearest sisters and about how the wedding was such a burden on them. My face fell and so did everyone's and Shreya abruptly put the phone away. My 'dear' MIL tried to explain when I promptly interrupted her saying, "I'M sorry, I am aware of being unwanted here but I really can't help it! If this marriage is a burden on you, it is a burden on me as well! And we can't do anything about it, except maybe get DIVORCE PAPERS!". I knew Arjun was back and he was trying to figure out what the tension was about, but I picked my clutch and began walking out when Arjun came in my way and asked "KYA HUA??" , I replied in a plummy way "Apni Mummy so poocho!"

Akhil's party was big, happy and happening. He was changed man, a famous one that too! I entered it alone, all thought Abhi was supposed to get me, I looked around and my eyes met Akhil's. He came to embrace me, "Diya darling what a pleasure!", I smiled back to that, "You haven't changed a bit", he said as he smirked, to which I replied 

"You seem like a changed man, Akhil"

"Akhil, did you just call me my name instead of some cringe worthy nick name!" Both of us let out a laugh at that. Akhil continued, "I heard you got married, and I wasn't invited!", he had just picked up some weird Jamaican accent! 

"Oh no, it was an impromptu ceremony, but there is a reception, the next month, you must come!", in my head that seemed like 'please don't come or I'll just forget I have a husband'. 

"So where is the lucky man!"

"ahah" I laughed uncomfortably "the lucky man is a busy man, I'm so sorry he couldn't make it, but I'll make sure you guys meet"

"Definitely, definitely, and have you told him about us though?" He asked in a a serious tone.

"Oh yeah, yes I told him everything, A to Z, yeah, the entire story, yeah, all the chapters" I said as I thought to myself whether Arjun knew anything about me.

"You seem really tired and exhausted though, is it work or you know getting cozy part" he smirked at it, before I could reply to that,  a beautiful, tall woman came by and put her hand stroking his neck. "Hi, honey" he said and introduced me to his beautiful little fiancee who wasn't little, I mean she was hot from every where. "Haiiii Riya darling", she said like a plastic as she bent down to for a cheek kiss. 

"Uhh, it's Diya actually"

"Oh, I'm so sorry darling! Akhil's told me so much about you, it's a pity you guys didn't end up together! But hey, now you're married to someone and Akhil will be married to me, so all's well that ends well" She said before the lines could end, yeah they did end with a passionate kiss. That's when I felt a tap on my back! It was Abhi, I hugged him tightly! Abhi greeted our extremely passionate hosts and after a few more minutes of pointless small talk we finally reached the bar!

Abhi was quite excited though, he kept addressing me as a married woman until reprimanded him, I think that was when he understood the gravity of the situation. "hey, hey, hey, calm down, just calm, breathe, I'm sorry okay, achha now explain to me how this unexpected husband of yours is!"

I let out a laugh, "husband, honestly for now we are just pretending like I'm invisible, I mean I make sure that I'm invisible. I don't know dude, sometimes I feel he might be justified in acting this way, I mean think about it, My sister......not my sister anymore ditched him" and I was giggling again.  "Classic Diya, you still try to hide everything behind your laughter, It's okay to have problems you know, It doesn't make you weak" He replied as he tucked the strand of hair on my face back to its place. Enthusiastically removing that minute of awkwardness he said "okay, so lezz gedddrunkkk". In no time was I gulping shots down my throat and then nothing seemed to exist or matter. I have glimpses of Abhi taking me in the car, a jeep actually, pretty cool, I stood up and yelled as my hair was pushed behind by the strong force of wind, smoking slowly, and all my problems ceased to exist.