xxxvi;

"donghyuck, no phones at the dinner table," taeil scolds softly, tapping the table once to gather the younger's attention.

donghyuck bows his head lightly in replacement of saying sorry, putting his phone face down so that he wouldn't have to read any more flattering words from mark.

johnny, however, seems to notice.

"who's got you all flustered?" he asks, gathering jaemin and taeil's attention. donghyuck has half the mind to excuse himself from the embarrassment.

jaemin obviously already knows who it is, if the smirk playing on his lips is anything to go by.

doesn't matter, donghyuck signs, but it obviously doesn't convince anyone at the table. his cheeks were probably scarlet, he himself can feel the heat radiating off of them. someone stupid, he adds.

"is it mr. thirsty?" taeil asks skeptically.

donghyuck's cheeks brighten at that.

don't call him that.

jaemin smirks, moving around some food on his plate before talking to taeil.

"he's mark lee. from nct?"

johnny's eyebrows shoot up in surprise, staring at donghyuck incredulously, as if asking for confirmation.

"isn't that the band you like?"

donghyuck doesn't answer, shoving food into his mouth, not that it'd even be a loophole out of speaking.

"you're talking to mark lee? a superstar?"

donghyuck sighs, putting down his utensils and signing very quickly.

don't be mad at me.

"no, we're not mad at you hyuck," johnny frowns, putting his own utensils down to focus on donghyuck. "but you have to be careful. he's a superstar. he's not like us."

donghyuck knew that johnny meant "us" as citizens; people who weren't exposed to having their lives publicized. but that didn't mean mark wasn't like them, that mark wasn't just as normal, or sweet or kind.

he's so sweet to me, donghyuck signs, looking johnny right in the eyes. i really like him. he wants to meet this sunday. i said yes.

taeil is the one who's anxiously biting his lip, but a hand on his thigh from his husband tells him to bite his tongue.

"we trust you," johnny assures with a smile. "just don't go around breaking your pretty heart."