Batter Up!

"Strike one!" The umpire boomed from behind his mask. I gulped, crossing my fingers that our pitcher could strike this batter out. I was at Ash's baseball game, volunteering as the bat girl. Meaning I get to hang out in the dugout.

We were in the fifth inning with runners on first and second, one strike, three balls, and two outs. Ash was playing his normal position as Short stop, crouching carefully, waiting for the ball to be hit. Our pitcher was starting to tire out, which worried me because our score was Home: 17, Away: 15, my school being Home.

The pitcher wiped the sweat off of his forehead, took his stance, waited for the umpire's nod, and threw again.

"Ball four! Take your base," the umpire told the batter, who tossed his bat to his team's bat boy and made his way quickly to first base. Now we had loaded bases. I sighed. The next batter took his place in the batters box.

He swung at a low ball. Strike one.

He missed a good pitch. Strike two. His team groaned and started shouting encouraging words to him. The boy rolled his shoulders, readjusted his batting gloves, and took up his stance again. The pitcher gave his wind up and released the ball, throwing one of his best pitches of this inning, though that isn't a very difficult thing to beat.

Clank! The boys bat made contact with the ball, sending it flying straight towards our second baseman. He ran for it, missing but quickly picking it up again and throwing it straight to Ash. Ash caught it in his mitt and threw it to the catcher, who caught it and dove down to tag the runner from third base. Silence covered the whole field.

"Out!" The crowd from my school cheered, excited from the quick thinking of the basemen and, of course, our narrow win. I cheered and high-fived each boy who walked into the dugout. Everybody got their things together, shoving the different sized helmets and bats and mitts into their baseball bag. I walked around quietly, looking for Ash.

It's been about a week since we began dating, and I must say that everything is going smoothly. We're not any bit nicer to each other, no, but it's usually in a more playful manner now. And I've set some ground rules as well, including the fact that he needs to respect me and to not treat me like an object. He agreed to them and set some of his own, though they were fairly similar to mine.

"Hey, Sunshine! Over here!" I heard Ash holler. He was already packed up, talking to my Dad. Dad and Asg have become like the best of friends and I cannot say that it's not awkward. I shuffled over to them, still not enjoying this stupid nickname he gave me. Okay, maybe it is a little cute. But only a little.

"Hi Dad, Ash," I said, giving Dad a hug and Ash a quick peck on his dirty cheek. I have to admit, it's nice to have the ability to show a little bit of affection towards Aah without Dad trying to murder him like a lot of other dads would do. Paige and Kyle were talking to each other about the game just a couple feet away from my group.

"Hey, Kayla. How was the game?" Asked a familiar voice from behind me. I turned around and found it to be Tris, smiling and readjusting her Atlanta Braves baseball cap that my Dad got her on their third date, according to stories of her past with him. Tris seemed to be ignoring Dad, but I understand why.

"Erm, it was good. We won by two runs." I smiled and gave her a brief embrace. She stepped out of the hug and waved hesitantly to Dad.

"You know what? Screw it. How have you been, Tris?" Dad asked, clearly tired of avoiding her. My chest swelled with happiness that they might make up and at least become friends. Tris smiled and they easily started a conversation on how they've been for the past six and a half years.

Ash tugged my arm eagerly, grabbing my attention. I looked over at him and raised my eyebrows to ask him a silent question. His eyes glimmered under the streetlight as he jerked his head to the left, gesturing for me to follow him back into the now empty dugout.

"Why are we back in here?" I asked, only now realising how vacant the field was without people on it. He pressed an index finger against my lips to silence me. I pouted, annoyed at how ridiculous he is being.

"Okay, you can talk now." We were hidden underneath the bleachers that line the back of the dugout. I rolled my eyes and pushed his finger off my lips.

"Why are we here and why are we hiding?" I hissed.

"They didn't show up," Ash sighed. His eyes were suddenly filled with sadness.

"Who? Who didn't show up?"

"My parents. They promised that they'd finally show up. But they didn't, like always. I guess I should be used to it by now." My heart melted in sympathy. This poor boy is so successful all the time but his parents are never there to support him with it? I wrapped my arms around him, breaking his trance.

"Don't. Sorry, I didn't mean to start a pity party," he mumbled, looking into my eyes. I heard Dad calling out my name. "Oops, let's go." Ash let me out from the bleachers before picking me up and carrying me over his shoulder, holding my ankles to keep me from slipping. I yelled for him to put me down even though I knew he wouldn't. Instead, he started walking out and back towards Paige , Kyle, and my waiting parents.

I sighed, pressing my elbows on Ash's back and resting my chin on my palms. Paige giggled at the silly sight of me being carried by Ash before she was picked up and carried over Kyle's shoulder just like me.

"Aye, how's it look back there?" Ash asked cheekily, like he wasn't just disappointed of his parents absence. I wonder how many times he's done this, playing off his disappointment like it's nothing?

"Thumbs up," I reply jokingly. The group laughs and I'm put down onto the ground, thankfully.

A sudden crack of thunder makes me jump, and we all race to the car as rain begins pouring down. Ash , Kyle, and Paige pile into the car they came in, Dad and I hurry in ours, and Tris jumps into hers. I pout, something I do when thinking to myself, as we all drive away.

Why weren't Ash's parents here?