Spring Break (Part 3) Midnight Snack

I shifted in bed, my eyes squinting at the alarm clock. I woke up early, it's only 4:18. My stomach growled viciously, giving me no choice but to go downstairs and scavenge for some foods. I picked up my phone as a flashlight, draped a blanket over my shoulders to keep me warm, and made my way downstairs. Last night's fooling around left me with a slight headache, nothing huge, but a single sudden light would probably put me into murderer mode. Especially since I just woke up.

Because this house is so new, the stairs weren't creaky. I tiptoed across the living room floor, my phone's flashlight still practically blinding me. My stomach growled so loudly that I thought I might have woken someone up. I made it into the kitchen and started looking through the cabinets for something simple to snack on. I started looking at the top shelves, the ones I couldn't reach, and saw just what would quench my cravings.

"We have Oreos? Hell yes," I whispered excitedly to myself. But they were on the top shelf. I groaned and jumped repeatedly, swiping at the package. I wasn't successful at all.

"Here," I heard someone mumble before reaching over me for the Oreos. I turned around and squinted at the face, knowing that the voice wasn't Ash's. It was Kyle. I turned off my phone as I followed him to the table where he tossed the loud package. I cringed at the sound, but it didn't seem to disturb anything except the silence.

"Thanks," I coughed quietly. How did I wake him up? He opened the box of Oreos and grabbed one drowsily. He seemed like he was only half awake.

"Mhm."

"I woke you up?" I'm way too awkward about conversations with a lot of people, obviously. I can barely say more than five words at a time.

"Yup." Maybe he was like that too. It seems like it, seeing as he's replying with only one word. I took an Oreo and quietly bit half of it, not really sure how to continue our awkward conversation. "I heard you and Jay had a thing going on before he went after Cartney."

"Excuse me?" I coughed and looked at Kyle, who seemed to be fully awake now. He looked over at me and took another Oreo.

"He's a huge prick and super disrespectful of women. I wouldn't be surprised if he beat Ash in a contest for who's the biggest player. He's obviously the social butterfly of the two of us," Kyle mumbled. I laughed and nodded. Kyle was nice and quiet, but not an introverted quiet. Just... A calm kind of quiet. That doesn't make sense, never mind.

"But he seems so nice when I met him," I pointed out. Kyle looked at me briefly before laughing.

"That's his trick. Didn't Ash already warn you about him? Or are you just as stubborn as he says every time we're stuck in the dugout?" Stuck in the dugout? What?

"What? Wait, how do you even know Ash? Like, on a friendship level." This was interesting. I grabbed another Oreo, this being my third.

"We play baseball together, have been since kid pitch. Met him on the Little League team. We're not even friends, just acquaintances." How have I never heard of this? I leaned my elbows on the table, propping my chin on my hands to indicate that I'm listening. "He talks about you a lot, you know. Your sarcasm, how feisty you are, how terrible of a tutor you are." I snickered at the last example. Mostly because it was kind of true.

"Wow. So what does this have to do with Jay?" I really only wanted to know about Jay's dirty secrets, to be honest.

"Well, Jay decided to start hitting on the softball girls, who used the field next to us. That's when I realised he was going to be a player. And he always fought with Ash over the pettiest of things." Wow, that sounds like the opposite of the Jay I had known. But I guess you can't ever know everything about someone. Not even yourself.

"So he started using the honey over vinegar trick?" Of course he did, that was such a stupid question. Why did I even ask that?

"Yep, and it worked. He won girls over, got them in his bed, and dumped them the next day. Then he picked up a new girl and repeated the cycle. Simple as that." Kyle said it as if we were talking about the weather. Normal. But how is that normal? It's so terrible! Sure, lots of boys do it nowadays, but still!

"What the fuck are you guys doing.. Are those Oreos? Move over," a raspy voice said. I looked over and saw Ben yawning. Were we talking that loudly? I moved over a little and Ben took a seat next to me, grabbing an Oreo and shoving it in his mouth.

"We're talking over cookies, what else would we be doing at four in the morning?" I asked sarcastically. Ben laughed and shoved another Oreo in his mouth. I took one and ate it quietly, waiting for one of them to speak.

"We should go to bed before Paige finds us. She'll kill me for sure, especially since I woke her up. Is it only you that's awake?" Kyle asked Ben. Ben shrugged and closed the Oreo package, putting it away.

"I don't know, I didn't check the other rooms. All I know is I woke up and saw you weren't in bed." So our voices weren't loud. Thank God. Paige would kill all of us for eating her food and waking her up so early. I yawned and picked my blanket up off of the back of my chair.

"Let's go, I'm getting more nervous by the second that someone else will see us and want to join in on our Oreo eating," I said and started sprinting to the stairs. The boys walked calmly behind me.

.................

I apologize *Pun completely intended* for the trashy content as of late, I've just kind of been rushing to finish chapters out of excitement. I promise there will be further character explanation (not just Ash and Kayla) in the next few chapters, but that will cause a slight delay. The updates might start to slow, but that's only because I want to make sure that I give you an even better story! :D

Xoxo,