The Masqurade

Today was the day of the Masquerade Ball. I am officially pumped! Paige was in my room with me, putting on her makeup. We had already gone through my box of masks to find two beautiful white lace masks that would go with almost any dress. I had quickly hot glued two green feathers to mine on the left side and three yellow feathers to hers on the right side so that we wouldn't get our masks mixed up.

We had an hour to get ready before we had to leave. Nobody is supposed to be picked up by their partner, it's supposed to be a surprise kind of thing. This was my first time going with a guy, so of course I was nervous. Paige helped me apply a bit of blush to compliment my green theme, then let me help her. After that, I put on a deep red lipstick. Red was a dangerous colour, it can be taken as sexy or slutty. At least, that's how it worked at my school. Paige went with a light pink lipstick that almost matched her cheeks.

Paige waited on my bed as I got changed in the bathroom. I changed into my dress, pulled on my silver sandals with straps that spiraled up my calves. I decided not to put on my masquerade mask until I had finished curling my hair, just as a precaution. I stepped out of the bathroom and Paige clapped. "Oh my God, that's amazing! Everyone's going to love you!" She exclaimed. I rolled my eyes as I took her spot so she could get dressed.

Paige took a while longer than me, but walked out of that bathroom as a model. She had her hair in a Dutch braid that rested on her shoulder, her dress was adorable with her yellow two-inch heels, and her mask really made her green eyes and freckles pop. I squealed out of excitement, which she did as well when she saw herself in the mirror.

We had about twenty minutes now, so I got her to curl my hair and put it into a waterfall style. I looked in the mirror after putting on this mask. Is it even physically possible to look this cute? I walked downstairs with Paige and got dad's keys. He was letting me drive his car, just for tonight. This was going to be awesome. I took off my mask before backing out of the driveway and driving away.

•••

"Oh my goodness, this is way better than last year!" Paige squealed as we walked inside the school gymnasium. They pushed back the bleachers, which made the place seem even bigger. No doubt there was a room full of kids making out in the bathrooms or locker rooms. Thank God I wasn't one of them. The music playing right now was pretty upbeat, but I couldn't really dance to it. I can't really dance to anything, I'm so used to chilling by the food and being an introvert.

"Where's Ash and Kyle?" I asked over the booming music. Paige shrugged and started looking around. I never even saw what Ash was going to wear, I'll just have to find him from features. Paige and I started to squeeze through the crowd, occasionally doing a double take at someone who looked a bit like Ash or Kyle.

I eventually gave up and let Paige go looking by herself. I walked towards the food table, just hoping I'd get a chance to curl up and be an introvert away from everyone, even though I knew that wasn't happening with a gym filled with at least 250 kids. "If Ash isn't here, at least there's the food," I mumbled before picking up a little chocolate dipped strawberry and taking a bite out of it.

"Looking for me, Sunshine?" I felt arms wrap around my waist, which made me stiffen immediately. Ash spun me around to face him. He was wearing a black and white mask with two green coloured feathers on the right side, along with a nice dress jacket and pants. The shirt under his dress jacket was the same hue of green as my dress. I laughed and gently pushed myself away from him.

"I gave up on that a while ago," I said truthfully. He chuckled and took my hand gingerly.

"Sorry, can I make it up to you with a dance?" He said with a wink. That's when I realised the change of music. A below song was playing now. I rolled my eyes as I nodded, but internally, I was screaming. It was just something about this brat that made my stomach knot. I didn't like it.