Nightmares

Warning: DREAM SCENE INCLUDES DESCRIPTIONS THAT MAY SCARE PART OF THE AUDIENCE. If you are easily scared with mental pictures, it is suggested to skip over the dream scene. You have been warned :)

I woke up to the sound of laughter and utensils clanging against dishes. They were eating supper. My stomach grumbled, but I ignored it's pleads for food. I turned over which is when I realized the sogginess of my clothes and bed. Right, I ran in the rain. Groaning, I changed clothes and covered up the wet spot on my bed. I needed my clothes for tomorrow, so I quickly choose my clothes and put it on that chair next to my bed, hoping to dear baby Jesus that dad wouldn't make me join them. Thankfully, they didn't notice me.

"She's honestly such a klutz, it's sad" cackled Sherry. It'd be an understatement to say that Sherry's laugh was ugly. It honestly sounded worse than mine.

"Don't say that! Even if she is embarrassing as hell, she's a sweet person," dad chuckled. I knew who they were talking about, which shattered my heart. My own family was laughing at me. I ran back upstairs before the tears finally started to roll down my cheeks. Closing my door carefully and curling up under my blankets, the tears turned into a helpless sob.

Why did this hurt me so much? Because it's true? Because dad agreed? I forced myself to struggle the sob, though now it sounded like a dying dolphin. Today was too much drama. I just wanted a normal school life. I just want to be normal. But I guess fighting and family problems and crying were all normal. It seemed like it. I wiped my eyes and curled up so I can go back to sleep.

How could my family say that about me behind my back? Did they say stuff like that all the time? I bit my lip and drove those thoughts away; I needed to sleep, no more self pitying. My dreams are a good escape.

"Mummy? Mummy, why are you crying?"Baby me asked to a hunched over, crying woman that looked exactly like my biological mother. Where was I? What was this? No, wait, I remember this. I was seven. But why can't I move? Why was mom crying? Was this the same dream I've had a million times?

"Oh, honey......... Come here,mommy just needs a hug," My mom said. Baby me stepped closer. I wanted to scream at her to run away , but I couldn't. I couldn't do anything but watch. Watch the same thing I've seen for years after Shery joined the family.

My mom turned around, showing her horrific face to baby me. The face had huge red crocodile eyes, a gaping Tasmanian Tiger jaw with rows of sharp piranha teeth shoved in her mouth and a thick tongue longer than an aardvarks, huge, knife like claws that replaced her fingernails, and a snake body with a hermit shell on her back.

Baby me screamed and tried to run away, but it was too late now. The monster picked baby me up and dropped her into it's mouth, clamping it shut before she could escape. I tried to scream when the blood splattered on me, but it felt like my vocal cords had been removed. The monster turned to me with an evil smile on it's deformed face and reached for me. I tried to run, but it was too late. I was stuck, this was it. This was the end.

I woke up from the horrible dream right before I was dropped into the mouth of the monster. My face was drenched with sweat and tears. The alarm clock was beeping. It was time for school. I got dresses and did my best to hid the redness of my eyes and the tear streaks on my cheeks.
............

I was getting my things from my locker before first period when I was attacked in a bear hug. I laughed and hugged Paige back, hoping she hadn't seen how red my face was. She knew when I was sad, no matter what, though.

"Oh my God, Kayla, are you okay? Your face is so splotchy! We need to talk, now." Paige dragged me to the abandoned storage closet. I rolled my eyes.