FORTY-FOUR

From: Dante (8:11 P.M.)
Your brothers want to know what you'd like for Christmas.

Another ping of my phone.

From: Dante (8:11 P.M.)
Let me rephrase that: I do not know enough things that make you happy so your brothers have ordered me to ask you what you would like because I do not know enough.

I shook my head at his texts. Of course my brothers would do that.

To: Dante (8:12 P.M.)
I don't want anything.

Rereading his second text, my eyes narrowed in on a single word he sent, and my eyebrow cocked.

To: Dante (8:13 P.M.)
Why is a prince taking orders from rogues?

"Do you have games on your phone?" Venice asked, glancing up at me.

I hadn't even realized she was watching me on the phone, and then her bringing attention to me made all the other women glance at me. Oh, hell.

"Uh, no." I finally replied.

Venice tilted her head. "What are you doing?"

"Venice, adults use phones for more than games." Maggie intervened, giving me an apologetic look.

Ping!

From: Dante (8:16 P.M.)
I'm pretty sure you're getting gifts. And I misspoke—they didn't order, their clear sadness and loss of what to do appealed to me, their Prince, and I am granting their request.

My eyes rolled at his text. I quickly silenced my phone so I wouldn't annoy the others. Venice was sitting on the couch next to me—she saw me sit down and immediately jumped up next to me—my mom was in the chair next to the couch, Maggie was sitting next to Venice on the other end of the couch, and Lucy was in the kitchen.

"Can we watch another movie?" Venice asked. We already had some kid channel playing on the television, but she must not have been interested.

"No, baby. It's late. Santa is coming soon so you have to be asleep when that happens."

Venice replied with a yawn, leaning into me. I tensed up, staring down at her. Her eyes were closing, those long lashes fanning her cheeks.

"I'm only a little tired." She said, and then added, "Santa comes later."

Maggie sent me an apologetic look. "I think it might be bed time for you, Venice."

She shook her head, sitting back upright and rubbing her eyes with her fists. "No. Please, mommy." She pouted.

Maggie sighed. "Only because it's Christmas Eve. I'll give you until nine, okay?"

Venice nodded happily.

Lucy came back into the room, a can of some liquid in her hand. "So, where is Max's work taking you guys next, Maggie?"

"Well, it's looking like Iceland for Caracallan, but it might be Russia. Either way, it's going to be six freezing weeks in places neither of us can have conversations in."

"After that, you guys are done for a couple months, right?" My mom asked, taking a sip of her wine.

"We're done with shooting the Caracallan, but there's another movie lined up. That'll be done in Hollywood, though, so not that bad."

I perked up at that. "I thought you guys didn't go to America?" With the whole evil, deranged Alpha having a strong desire to finally get rid of my family.

She shrugged. "Mostly, no. Hollywood is different. We've been to New York, too, but only for a few days at a time."

My phone buzzed.