NINETEEN

The walk back to my room was a blur. All I know is that I ended up back in my room, where I finished a book, and somehow was able to fall asleep. You'd think, after doing nothing but sleeping for days, I would stop being tired.

When I woke up, I had forgotten everything. That was, until I got up and stubbed my toe on the bedside table, and an "ouch!" came out of my mouth. Then I remembered.

The sun was shining brightly through the windows now, and my phone told me it was around noon. The doctor would come in to do his routine checkup soon, and just like every time, I was dreading his arrival.

It's not that he wasn't a good doctor. Doctor Millard was very good at what he did. And he was nice to me when I got here. But then, I knocked him out, and oddly he hasn't been as nice since.

I went into the bathroom and took a quick shower, turning the water to the hottest setting. It was a nice relief, after having only frigid cold water for so long. When I finished, I stepped out and wrapped one of the fluffy blue towels around me.

I heard a knock on the bedroom door and groaned, and almost jumped when I heard my voice. Stupid stupid stupid. I had to keep my mouth shut. Nobody could know I got my voice back. At least, not for now.

Hurriedly, I dried myself off and slipped on the robe hanging next to the door. It was so soft, I got slightly distracted, until I heard more impatient knocking on the door.

"Luna, I'm about to open the door. Hurry up." Rolling my eyes, I made my way to the door and opened it. In Doctor Millard stepped, narrowing his eyes at me.

"You shouldn't have gotten up. This is why we have the bell." He motioned towards the silver bell on the bedside table that I never touched.

Again, I rolled my eyes, and then went down and sat on the bed, wrapping the robe tighter around me.

He pulled out his clipboard and clicked the pen three times for good measure. "Are you getting adequate sleep?" His voice was monotone, just like always. I nodded. He scribbled something down.

"Are you eating the food brought to you?" Once again, I nodded. His pen zoomed across the paper.

"How is your back feeling?" I held up three fingers, as this was what he expected. Since I couldn't speak–to his knowledge–he had instructed me to answer like this. He wrote more.

"Are the pain medications working?" Nod. Scribble.

"And the other cuts? They are healing?" Nod. Scribble.

I slumped back against the bed in annoyance. Doctor Millard's visits bored me to no end.

"What about the burns? Are those feeling better?"

With a silent sigh, I nodded again. I heard his pen move on the paper.

With more questions came more nods and scribbles, until finally Doctor clicked his pen three more times. He always did this. I don't know why he simply didn't click it once, but I didn't care enough to ask.

"Well, Luna Princess, I will have someone send up some clothes for you. It seems that you are healing quite well, given your circumstance and conditions." I almost growled. Say it, I thought. Say that I'm basically a human.

He continued: "I'm sure the prince would be rather pleased to hear this news, but you still aren't well enough. Bedrest and physical therapy, along with a lot of medication will have to do." My eyes shut in anger at this. I didn't want to stay locked up here like some weakling. I had spent far too long locked up, and I couldn't stand another minute being told what to do.