THIRTY-SEVEN

"Mmm..." I mumbled. "Why are you touching my hair?" Still half asleep, I wasn't conscious enough to care that I was laying on Dante's naked chest.

He ran his fingers through my hair again. "It's soft."

I hummed a response again, shuffling my head a little. Dante emitted such a nice warmth, and the blankets were so soft. I was too comfortable.

I moved so that my head faced up at Dante. He had one arm lifted, resting on his forehead. "What time is it?" If it's before nine I am going back to sleep.

He reached over to the bedside table and glanced at his phone. "11:50."

I blinked. "Like, noon?" That was the longest I've slept in a while.

"Yes." He waited a second before adding, "Are we still visiting your family?"

Against my body's wants, I sat up, pulling the blanket to my chest as I did. Dante followed me with his eyes.

Visiting my family? I had said we should do that, didn't I. Damn. Did I still want to?

No, not in the slightest. It would suck and be so horribly painful. But I had to. Staying away from them would help Batilda, and I couldn't aid her anymore than I already had. And if I did it today, I could get it done. Get in get out, all before the Christmas festivities. That would be easier, right?

I glanced down, focusing on the white sheets of the bed. "I think we have to. Right?"

"Right."

I sighed, shuffling off the bed. "I had Sapphire pack you some things, in case you did want to go home. I believe they should be in the entry."

I raised a brow at him. "You prepared for this?"

He sat up, giving me a tired grin. "I had hoped you would decide to go see your family. I might have also mind linked Sapphire last night to pack some things for you."

Of course he did that.

Instead of replying, I left the room, finding a light blue duffel bag at the entry. I picked it up and went to take a shower. That would buy me some time, right?

* * *

"Florence, you cannot hide out in there all day."

I jumped onto the counter, cringing at the way these blue jeans dug into me. They were so tight! I cursed Sapphire's need for style. You'll love these! Her post-it note left on the top of the clothes had seemed so innocent at first.

"It's almost two."

I rolled my eyes. I could wait much longer than I already had in here. The thought of home was enough motivation.

"Florence. Come on."

"No."

"Please."

"No."

"Think about how excited Venice will be to see you."

I sighed at that one. She thought I was a princess. And she liked Dante better, because he's charming and actually social.

I picked at a loose thread on the loose beige sweater Sapphire had placed with the jeans.

"Florence, come on. You changed your mind, which means something must've made you feel you should do this."

"It was late last night. I wasn't thinking straight."

"Can you come out here so we can talk about this?"