SEVENTEEN

Dropping Daisy back off was a much easier time. Probably because I fell asleep on the ride back to the airport and woke up in the plane. I assumed that was Dante's doing, but I also noticed that my bandages were changed, as the doctor had instructed at least twice a day. I assumed that was Dante too, and I didn't know how I felt about that. He was being too kind, and I almost felt bad for knowing I had to reject him eventually.

Well, once I figured out how to reject a mate. Obviously, my family had never taught me that bit of information.

I left the small bedroom in the back of the plane to find Dante in conversation with Daisy. He made eye contact with me as I sat down across the aisle from them.

He paused talking to Daisy. "Are you rested?"

I nodded, picking up the newspaper in front of me. It was something to read, and I hadn't gotten my hands on a text in a while.

Daisy piped up again, pulling Dante back in her conversation. But I still felt Dante's eyes on me.

The rest of the plane ride was quick, and I barely felt the landing. I was too busy reading on the current politics in France to even notice that Daisy was leaving the plane.

"Are you ready to go?" Dante asked from behind me, as he was collecting a few things from around the cabin.

I glanced up at him, lowering the paper. I had read every article about three times, but rereading was a hobby. It was all I had done for the past eleven years.

I folded back up the paper, setting it back down on the table.

Dante pulled his phone out of its charger and pocketed it. "Are you ready to go?"

I nodded and stood up, and we left the plane and boarded the cars quickly. The ride through Paris was slow because of traffic, but we still got to Daisy's apartment rather quickly. She said goodbye to both of us, and ran up the stairs to her flat. Her reunion was much like Millie's, and Dante and I didn't stay there long. We drove back to the airport and got back on the plane, finally flying back to the palace.

We now still sat on opposite aisles, and Dante had told me we were only about ten minutes from the first airport we left from.

"Doctor Millard is expecting to see you the minute we arrive." Dante spoke, glancing briefly up at me before going back to writing on his documents. He had been writing on those the entire way from Paris.

Nodding, and I went back to reading my newspaper for the eighth time.

Dante decided to speak again. "You should've listened to him and stayed, but you got those girls home. You saved them, and I can't say you didn't do the right thing."

My lips twitched upwards.

"But I won't be defending any of your actions to Millard. He will not be happy to see that you've reopened your wounds. Probably an extra couple days bedrest, maybe even more because of your silver burns."

I groaned, laying my head on the wall of the plane.

Dante looked up, fully pulling his attention from the papers. "I know you hate this, how... overprotective I'm being, but please understand that when you were shot because I didn't listen to you, you were close to death. And that was entirely my fault. I risked your life because I'm the most asinine wolf to ever live, and I believed everything that witch had told us. So when you go off and almost get yourself killed, I need to make sure you're okay."

I could only stare at him. Hearing him say those words made me feel all sorts of ways, and I was unfamiliar with all of them. But I knew my heartbeat quickened, and I found myself staring at Dante.