THREE

He stalked towards me, his impeccably perfect fitting suit making him look more powerful and muscular than I had ever seen on the television or in the newspaper. But he finally came to a stop a few feet in front of me.

My eyes were glued to his face. He looked exactly like I had seen on the television Batilda had always left on. His eyes were a strange mixture of green and blue streaks, and they were striking this close up. His face was very angular, practically chiseled. He was exactly what you'd expect for the future king of such a powerful family.

His eyes stared, and he took another step closer. He was no longer standing in front of me.

He was standing in front of Batilda.

"Mate." She whispered this time, her expression seemingly one of ecstasy. The prince stared at her, finally taking in the appearance she had conjured.

But all I felt was pain. This was far worse than I imagined. She had stolen the last thing I had to possibly look forward to in life: a mate.

I clutched a hand to my chest, as if it would keep the fragments of my heart together. The pain was wrenching, and I almost cried out in pain.

Or maybe I did. It's not like I had a voice, so I wouldn't know.

But I took a step away from them, and I accidentally knocked into Finn. Forgetting he was even there, I jumped away from him. He seemed to stop staring at the pair, and now he stared at me, his hands raised to try and steady me.

My actions had apparently brought everyone's attention off of the prince and onto me, the girl who dared to interrupt a happy moment for the kingdom. My boiling anger inside battled with the emptiness of my heart. And I had no clue which one would win out.

Finally, Batilda and the prince looked over at my still on edge form and Finn, who seemed slightly worried about him scaring me.

"I didn't mean to scare you. I'm sorry." He told me, raising his hands and showing me he meant no harm.

I took another step back, angry at everything and wanting to get out, but the tug on my neck halted me from going any further.

I was reminded yet again that I had no control over my life, just like I hadn't for a long, long time.

The emptiness seemed to overcome the anger then, but the anger was still a raging fury inside me. But the hopelessness made me want to crumble to the ground and never move again.

I glanced over at Batilda, who had a dangerous glint in her now lively eyes. But I knew better. Underneath all that black magic, there were two ebony circles that reminded me just how malicious the witch was. The look in her eyes was easy enough to read, and I knew I was in dangerous territory for taking the prince's attention off of the witch.

My eyes then glued themselves to the floor, trying to look interested in the crevices and cracks in the gorgeous stone.

Batilda sighed, making sure the attention was brought back to her. I didn't dare look up, because I knew the prince's full attention on her would be another stab to my already broken heart. I wanted – no, needed – to stay numb.

It would make whatever hell she had planned easier on me. And it would keep me from feeling the full pain and loss of everything she had taken from me.