TWENTY-TWO

I spent the rest of the day playing on my phone or reading some of the books I had asked for the other day. I loved reading, and I definitely could sit and read for hours. Knowing that's all I would be doing for the next two weeks ruined the whole excitement of it, though.

I didn't have many visitors. The nurse would come every now and then to deliver food and see how I was doing, which was always the same as the last time she had seen me, and ask if she could help me with anything. I knew she was just doing her job, but it was driving me insane. Sure, without the painkillers they had been keeping me on since I woke up from my injuries, I would be in a lot of pain, but I had my painkillers. They worked wonders, let me tell you.

But I had them. I was taking them as directed. The nurse was here to make sure of that. As long as I didn't put stress on my back like I had earlier with the prince, I was fine.

All too soon, the day was over, and I passed out reading one of my books. The next two days went like that, until I finally got a visitor around noon.

Expecting Dante, or maybe Sapphire, I didn't pay all that much attention when the person came in and sat on a chair next to the bed. I was entirely focused on the paragraph I was reading.

"Hi, Florence."

I practically jumped in my seat, and my book slightly flew out of my hands. My eyes widened at the sight of the Queen.

She was sitting rather close. Close enough to touch my bed. I was so rude to the Queen oh my goddess I'm going to die.

She let out a laugh at my state. "I scare my husband like that sometimes, too." She commented, and then laughed some more.

I gave a weak smile, still stunned at her appearance. Dear goddess, I had barely seen the king or queen since I arrived, and now she was here and she was talking to me and she was Dante's mother!

She flicked her hair over her shoulder subconsciously and flashed me a beautiful, perfect smile. "How have you been, sweetie? I know you haven't healed well, but you aren't in pain, right?"

I shook my head no.

"That's good. I hope they've been feeding you well, too?" Her eyes flicked down to my wrist, which I knew seemed to worry everyone. I was bony, but that wasn't my fault, and I couldn't eat more than I was without feeling sick.

Nodding, I finally got the sense to pick my book up off my lap and put it on the side table.

She was silent for a moment, seeming to gather her thoughts. "I know you probably don't want to talk about it, but I was abducted too. I was only kept away for six months, which I know isn't anything compared to however long you were, but I know when I came back, everything was hard." She gave me a smile, which wasn't as bright as her previous ones.

"I didn't want to eat, I didn't want to talk to people, and I definitely didn't want to be anything I was expected to be. Which, then, was a Queen. I snapped at anyone who tired to talk to me, I made myself sparse at meals, and I was cold to Damon. It was bad. I can't imagine everything you've gone through, or what you're going through right now, but I just wanted to let you know nobody expects you to just fix yourself alone." She reached out and squeezed my hand, but I wanted to pull away so bad. She was wrong. The Queen didn't understand. She was born to be Queen, that's why she made it through. I knew this was all a mistake made by the goddess.