THIRTY-TWO

A cold gust of wind hit my back as the door closed behind me, and the fact that I was now suddenly in this cafe, in the same place as Max, brought even more chills to my body. Not even Dante's sparks could lessen my anxiety and fear, and I swear to Goddess, when that stupid bell on the door rang as the door closed, I jumped about two feet into the air.

This made Dante turn around, but before either of us could say anything, or I could make my escape, that damned familiar voice spoke up from a booth across the empty cafe. "Did you need a formal introduction before entering, your Highness?" Max joked sarcastically.

My free hand went to rub my chest, as if the action could soothe my aching heart.

"Let's go say hi." Dante whispered, before he led me down the aisle between green booths with high seat backs. I think if Dante didn't have such a firm hold on me, or if he wasn't practically pulling me to my doom, I would've made the fastest run for it and somehow figured out how to drive that car as far away from here as I could.

The closer we got to Max the less I could focus on anything else but my overbearing terror and impending breakdown. This was not going to be good, I shouldn't be doing this, this is a mistake, why didn't I fight Dante harder, Max did not miss me. He couldn't have missed me, it had been too long. Maybe nine years ago I would've felt relieved to be seeing them again. They were, after all, the only thing I thought about to keep myself sane for eleven years. But it had been too long.

"Do you have any threes?" Max spoke, and I finally noticed just how close I was. Goddess, we weren't even two booths away. My heart spiked, and I yanked my hand away from Dante's grasp. I managed to undo his hold, and I held my hand in my other at my chest. Dante was immediately turned around, his hands up in surrender. "Hey. You're alright."

"No. Go fish." A tiny, high-pitched, child's voice spoke from the booth. No no no. I wasn't at all prepared for this.

I took one step backwards, ready to bolt. Max stood up out of the booth, interrupting Dante and I. He had that warm, friendly grin on his face.

He looked exactly as he had on the television, but seeing him in person, and how much he had really aged, was agonizing. He had kept the curly hair, and his was just barely darker than mine. But now the shortest dark haired beard covered his jaw, extending above his lips.

"Hey, Dante." Max held his hand out for Dante to shake, and his eyes never glanced over here. He must not notice me. Or he sees you and is pretending he doesn't because he doesn't care for you. You shouldn't be here. You're nothing to Max. Nothing to him nor his daughter.

I closed my eyes, wishing that it would make me disappear.

Dante must've shook hands with Max, because I heard him speak not long after. "It's nice to see you, Max. And Venice, too." That caused a cute giggle from the booth, and I just wanted to vanish into thin air. They were all happy people. I would ruin this. I was already ruining Dante. He would be so much happier without me here to constantly worry him and not meet up to what he needs in a mate.

"Oh, who is this? You didn't say that you were bringing anyone, Dante." Max spoke, and I felt him approach. I peeked one eye open to find him barely a meter away from me, that same horribly warm smile on his face. Dante looked rather concerned as well, his eyes softened on me. I could tell this was him leaving this completely up to Max and I, and Goddess, did I hate him for it. He brings me all the way here, pesters me endlessly for this, just to leave me alone when my heart is about to explode?

Max extended that same hand to me. "Max Abernathy. And you are?"

The tiny flutter of hope I had had in my heart came crashing down with the realization that Max had no clue who I was. He had no clue. But I sure did. I was eleven years too late. Forgotten. Unrecognizable.