THIRTY-ONE

I threw the hairbrush on the bed, letting out a groan. I look like an absolute mess. Frizzy, boring brown hair, pale skin from being away from any sort of sunshine for so long, and purple bags under my eyes from stressing over this so much. I should just bail on this whole thing like I had wanted to from the start.

Max didn't want to see me, he wouldn't be appreciative of this meetup, why was I doing this? Questions, doubts, fears, worries, my head couldn't stop the onslaught of thoughts. I shouldn't be doing this, maybe I could just go out there and convince Dante to undo this whole thing. It would take tears and some anger, but it wouldn't be impossible. All he needed to do was call and Max and tell him that he couldn't meet him for lunch. Easy. Simple. Done.

Unlike how seeing him again would be. This was going to be a huge, horrific mistake.

A knock at the door startled me, and I tiptoed to it, opening it just a crack. I peeked my head to the side to let one eye look at Dante, wearing dark blue jeans and a black button down. He looked nice. Nice was an understatement, but I needed to understate his handsome looks.

"Why are you so dressy?" I asked without thinking, and immediately wanted to slap myself in the face. Focus. Get out of seeing Max first, then we can talk to Dante about clothes.

"I was afraid you were going to be hiding in the bathroom or something. May I come in?" Dante asked.

"No."

He blinked. "Okay, we can just tal—"

"I don't want to do this anymore."

He sighed. "Come on, Florence. Don't back out of this before you give it a shot."

I pushed against the door to find that he was holding it open with his foot. Shoot.

"Go away." I rushed out, fighting against the door. He didn't budge.

"Florence, Max misses you and loves you and you miss him, too. Don't throw this away."

I strained against the door, pushing my back into it now. "No. I don't want to do this."

"Can I come in?" This time, it was Sapphire who asked.

Dante groaned at this. "Sapphire, you are not going to help."

"Actually, I think I'd be of great help. If you'd move, that is."

I nodded at that, although neither of them could see it. "I think moving is a great idea."

"Florence, just let me in. I'll keep him away."

I gave another big heave on the door, and Dante didn't even groan in pain as his foot stayed solid, wedging the door open. I made a noise of frustration.

"Move, Dante." She ordered her brother.

"If I move she'll lock the door on the both of us."

There was a quick silence in the hallway as Sapphire must've realized the truth in this, before she spoke again. "I don't think she'll lock it on me. She'll lock it on you, though. Go away."

Dante didn't budge, but he didn't reply, either. So Sapphire continued. "Dante, go. Let me help her."

"No, I don't need any help. Just move your foot." My words were rushed as I tried kicking Dante's shoe.

"Fine," Dante said, ignoring me. "I'll go." And he moved his foot, allowing me to quickly close the door and click the lock.

"Florence, it's only me now. Just let me in." Sapphire asked through the door. I backed away from it, shaking my head at her.