TWELVE

When I was six, Isaac kicked a soccer ball and it went straight into my head. I was unconscious before I hit the ground. I think I was out for six hours, but I don't remember. Max told me everyone have Isaac an earful, though. That cheered me up a little bit, even though I wasn't mad at Isaac. I also wasn't in much pain when I woke up.

But now, I certainly was. My back was on fire, and I felt it before I even opened my eyes.

I woke up slowly, the pain graciously coming first, and then my eyes opened. I was grateful it was nighttime, as there were no harsh lights to blind me.

My eyes slowly wandered the room. There was a machine to my left, and it beeped annoyingly loud. Goddess, I already hated it, and it had only been, like, a minute.

Across from me there were large windows, but the one directly across from me was blocked by someone. In my fuzzy state, I had to squint to make out the nice, tailored suit jacket. Only one man I knew of wore suits that well.

Obviously, my mind had not yet woken up, because I should have been alarmed the prince was here. I should be alarmed anyone was here.

Wasn't I supposed to be dead?

My mind must've started functioning then, because I then continued to ask myself why I would even be in a room like this if I were dead? Why would I be in the castle.

I continued my slow survey of the room. In the corner sat a nurse, busy scribbling away on her clipboard. Next to her was a door, maybe a bathroom, and there was nothing else here.

I felt my hands rub the blankets that covered me, almost as if making sure the satin material was really there.

I guess this made a noise, because the Prince turned around and the nurse looked up at me.

"Florence," the prince breathed out, those blue green orbs eyeing me up and down. I shivered.

The nurse got up out of her seat, running into the room next to her. She came out as quickly as she entered, carrying a water bottle and a cup.

"I'm sure you're thirsty."

I glanced at the prince.

Oh, I was definitely parched.

The nurse poured some water into the cup and placed the bottle onto the table next to me. "This might hurt, but I need you to sit up."

I darted my eyes to her as if she were crazy. There was no way I was sitting up. My back hurt enough when I was doing nothing. I shook my head at her.

She rose her eyebrow. "You need to drink some water. Besides, you'll have to sit up eventually."

Not if I can help it. I shook my head once again.

She sighed, opening the table drawer to pull out something plastic. "This moves the bed. I can make you sit up, or you can sit up your way. Either way, you gotta sit up."

I glared at her, but shifted my hands to sit up. I lifted myself up, grinding my teeth at the pain the movement to my back caused. Goddess, my back hurt like hell.

"I could've helped you." She said, resulting in a death glare from me again.

I grabbed the cup from the table and downed it, still glaring at the nurse, and put the cup back on the table.