~4.1 - Karla~

I rubbed my eyes, forced myself to yawn, even counted sheep. I did everything I could think of to make myself fall asleep, but it hadn't worked. So, I had taken a couple sleeping pills and passed out in seconds.

I almost regret it in the morning as I walked into school with Diego. Drugged sleeps are the worst. My fingers kept twitching, my head hurt a little, and I felt more tired than before. The doctor had told me before that I probably shouldn't take sleeping pills anymore if that was how I woke up each time I took them.

I took them anyway.

Diego glanced over at me. "You okay Kitten? You've yawned three times in the last two minutes."

I covered my mouth, trying to stifle another yawn. "Yeah, just a little tired." I smiled, looking up at his dark eyes. "I need to put my bag in my locker really quick."

He rolled his eyes. "Ya know, it'd be a hell of a lot easier on you if you just carried your bag around with you."

"I don't need to carry it around with me. I only need a pencil and my sketchbook." I stuck my tongue out at him. "So there." I unslung my bookbag from my back, holding it out to him. Chuckling, he took it from me—and almost dropped it.

He stared at me, shocked. "What the—you put bricks in here just to see me struggle." He accused, glaring at the passersby as they laughed softly. They all rushed off to their classes quickly, but not before whispering about a bad boy gone good.

I giggled, both at Diego's failed attempt at holding my bookbag and at my peers' comment. He's still a bad boy, but maybe I've found the good in him. "It's just art supplies and books." I shrugged, taking my bag back from him. Nonchalantly, I pulled it onto my back once more. I bit back more laughter as he stared in shock. "Now, you head to English. I'll be there in just a minute."

Diego hesitated. Finally, he nodded. "But hurry up okay?"

I scoffed, skipping backwards down the hall towards my locker until he turned to class. I spun around, popping my headphones in my ears. Hurry up? I've got plenty of time, and it's not like I'm gonna get mugged in the middle of the hall. I chuckled softly. I might not have known him for a long time, but Diego was already way different from what I had seen on the first day of school. It feels like so long ago.

I stopped in front of my locker, spinning the dial and humming softly. A hand grabbed my shoulder and spun me around quickly. Whoever it was slammed me back against my locker. My bag slid off my shoulder onto the floor, the dial digging painfully into my back. Not gonna get mugged... I guess I spoke too soon.

Blinking to clear my head, I realized it wasn't just one person, but two. The girls looked exactly alike except for their hair colour; one of them was blonde and the other was brunette. They looked too girly—with their high ponytails and miniskirts—to be doing this kind of thing. The brunette had a hand on my shoulder, while the blonde shoved her face in mine. Her brown eyes glowed with hatred. I watched her lips moving, but I didn't hear a word she said because of the music blasting in my ears. What the hell is going on here?

The blonde slapped me hard across the face, yanking my headphones out of my ears. "Did you hear a word that I said bitch?" She spat. "Leave Diego alone. You have no right to come in here as a new student and take all of his time and energy away from us."

I frowned. It was the same girl I had run into in English on the first day. "I'm sorry, but I don't even know who you are."

She hissed in irritation, rolling her eyes. "Who I am doesn't-"

"I'm Tressia." The brunette nodded slowly as she introduced herself. "This is Sylvia."

Sylvia snarled at her twin. "Idiot! Now she knows who we are!"

I sighed. "Look, I don't know what you're talking about." I gently pushed the blonde away from me a little, moving a step away from my locker. "Diego and I are just friends. There's nothing wrong with that."

She pushed me back again, the warning bell ringing. "There is something wrong with that." She hissed through gritted teeth. "This is your only warning. Don't be a slut."